Have to explain TSM to my Boss's Boss and his Boss

sconnell

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have been asked to explain how TSM works to my Director and a Vice President in simple terms. I have been working with TSM for over 5 years and think I have a good understanding of its inner workings. My problem is how do I "dumb" it down for people who used Netbackup with Full plus Incremental's the last time they handled backups. Anybody have any ideas or good documentation that they have used in the past.

Thanks <SC>

Reward their decisions, and improve on them with TSM

Tell them that the old way (their choice to do full + increm) was a very viable, dependable option. But with today's intensive growth scale of data retention, and need to provide redunancy for business continuity, we have a better way of doing it. It will not only reduce the unecessary need for redundant data (versions of files re-backed up with the Full), but with new versions of TSM (6.x) it will even provide de-duplication to your diskpool.

Also throw in the executive dazzle words, like encryption, hierarchical storage management, data integrity, bare-metal restores, etc. Stay away from things like backup windows and stuff like that; IMHO they could care less if you struggle with getting your servers backed up overnight. They want to know what is the best (cheapest) way to backup data correctly. If you use VM's note the way that Tivoli licenses the VM's per host with their PVU's (Processor Value Units). You get more bang for your buck there.

Remember to use flashy items for visual aides, smile and laugh at strange times (waiting for them to nervously laugh as well while not knowing why), and use Yogi Berra quotes whenever possible. You will do fine.

Tell them that the old way (their choice to do full + increm) was a very viable, dependable option. But with today's intensive growth scale of data retention, and need to provide redunancy for business continuity, we have a better way of doing it. It will not only reduce the unecessary need for redundant data (versions of files re-backed up with the Full), but with new versions of TSM (6.x) it will even provide de-duplication to your diskpool.

Also throw in the executive dazzle words, like encryption, hierarchical storage management, data integrity, bare-metal restores, etc. Stay away from things like backup windows and stuff like that; IMHO they could care less if you struggle with getting your servers backed up overnight. They want to know what is the best (cheapest) way to backup data correctly. If you use VM's note the way that Tivoli licenses the VM's per host with their PVU's (Processor Value Units). You get more bang for your buck there.

Remember to use flashy items for visual aides, smile and laugh at strange times (waiting for them to nervously laugh as well while not knowing why), and use Yogi Berra quotes whenever possible. You will do fine.

ahhhhh... mmmmm....LOL! Good stuff. Got to remember that next time i am asked "why tsm?"

Good One...!

Tell them about lowering TCO achieved by TSM (better media management and so on). Use all these nice marketing words :D

Throw in the fact that data is always onsite as well as offsite. Faster restores ($$$$ savings).

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Hopefully I can come up something that will keep their interest for more than 2 minutes.

Sconnell,

Don't forget to tell them about the excellent tools and processes available for TSM env in DR.

rwhtmv,
Very good advise you gave there . Thanks

Back