Good backup, but can't find file.

augfirst

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

We use Tivoli Server on AIX-RS6000 5.1.1 and Windows Client 5.1.5. A user requested a restore of a file that was corrupted and deleted. I tried to restore the file and did not find the file on any point in time restore. I checked the dsmsched.log file and found the following information:

01/15/2003 15:59:26 Normal File--> 3,169,280 \xxxxe$DataGroupsca-hrStaffing Table 02_03HR_SAT_02_03.fp3 [Sent]

01/17/2003 16:01:44 Expiring--> 3,167,232 \xxxxe$DataGroupsca-hrStaffing Table 02_03HR_SAT_02_03.fp3 [Sent]

In the mgmt class I keep 14 copies and the last copy 365 days, and the dsm.opt file does not exclude anything on the e$ partition. I also use a SHRDYNAMIC option.

What could have caused Tivoli not to back this file up? Any information would be helpful!

Thank you for all you help.

Kevin Lutz

Kevin,

When you did the restore did you use the -ina option?

Using SHRDYNAMIC is suposed to backup an open file after so many tries.

The default is 4 tries.

If the application have a lock on the open file.

TSM will not be able to backup the file. Even if you try to force TSM to backup the

file. It's not going to happen due to the lock that is set by the application.

Sias

Sias,

I used the GUI Interface, and the file was not listed. I know that Tivoli can back this file up because I have tried it before and since. What concerns me is that Tivoli reported that it backed up the file, and it was not there.

01/15/2003 15:59:26 Normal File--> 3,169,280 \xxxx\e$DataGroupsca-hrStaffing Table 02_03HR_SAT_02_03.fp3 [Sent]

Out of the 1.1 million files that I have on this server, how many fault positives am I really getting?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

The TSM client have alread terversed through the file system and started to perform the file comparision. By the time the TSM client sent the file to the TSM server, the application or the user deleted the file. As I am looking at the dsmsched.log I notice a file was backed up. When I look on the file system the file was deleted. When the next schedule backup ran, the file did get expired on the TSM server.

I don't think it was a GUI or a command line issue.

I had something like this happen several years ago and I can't remember what the solution was. I try to find my old notes, I just can't seem to find it.

You may want to call IBB/Tivoli support. The tech may be able to find something in there database.

Sias

We have recently upgraded to 5.1.5 on a AIX-RS6000 and we have found that our NT clients have started expiring files after 1 day, whether their client was upgraded to 5.1.5 or not. Not sure why yet. All the options seem to be set correctly on the clients and the server. 5.1 bug? I haven't yet checked to see if all the windows clients are doing this or if it is just the NT clients... weird.

Back