GB changed per backup

marcotulio

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
how to calculate GB changed per backup ?

I need to Oracle, MSSQL, Exchange

thanks

Manually is one way - keep track of the daily GB backed up and calculate using Excel or any manual method.

using TDP for MSSQL, in GB is changed?

10% or 20%

need to know to calculate the size of my disk pool

Disk pool sizing is normally set based on the anticipated size or sizes of your database or databases. One's aim is to have a disk pool size that is big enough to hold a day's worth (at a minimum) of DB backup to a few days or weeks of DB backup if caching is considered as an option.

As an example, I may have three DB nodes of 20 GB databases which may generate, as an example, 2 GB of transaction logs every 6 or so hours. I would the calculate at a minimum of having a disk pool of (20 GB * 3) + (2 GB * 3 * 4) in order to house my daily database and log backups. Doing the math here, I would need 84 GB of disk pool space to hold the DB and log files.

If I factor in caching, and would like to hold 5 days of DB and log backups on a rolling basis, I am looking at having a disk pool of about 420 GB minimum.

Bear in mind that you should be backing up to tape on a daily basis to cover your DR needs.

This is a rough way of finding out how much space you will need.

In my case, if this is the scenario, I would setup a 500 GB disk pool at the minimum.

Again, this is a rough guide and many other factors can influence actual disk pool requirements like compression, incremental backups, etc.

Back