FTP file transfer fast, TSM backup slow

mkraker

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All

When i FTP a 5GB file from my AIX client to my AIX TSM 6.2 Server i get a throughput of approx. 90MB/s
When is backup that same file from the same AIX client to the same AIX TSM 6.2 Server there is a throughput of 25MB/s

Anyone can test this on his own enviroment or have same hints and tips?

Thx.

Michel.

Hi,
Try this setting. Works well for TSM v5. I got a huge increase in transfer speed.

TCPWindowsize 0

thx Trident,

is this for both the client as the server?

Thx Michel.

Hi,
Try this setting. Works well for TSM v5. I got a huge increase in transfer speed.

TCPWindowsize 0

Trident,

My TSM server is on AIX. TCPWINDOWSIZE set to 0 takes the OS setting, so how is this set on your TSM server assuming you are also on AIX?

thx. michel.

Hello,

In my case I squeezed some extra performance out of TDP client by increasing TDP buffers to maximum in my domdsm.cfg (8 buffers, 8192 buffer size).

I get around 40-50MB/s with 2 simultaneous sessions and compression turned on (actually 20-25 becuase compression reduces data by around 50%). The maximum that the disks can give is 60MB/s so I guess that's pretty good. I had similar backup duration without compression so I just turned it on to conserve disk space on TSM server.

Client is win64, server is RHEL Linux 5.6

EDIT:

I just tested a backup of 300MB mailbox on an idle server. I ran it twice so the file would be cached in RAM on the client. It completed in about 3 seconds... 94MB/s on 1Gig ethernet, using default TCP options on both client and server.

By the way, TCPwindowsize 0 is default for V6.2 on linux.

With client compression turned on it completes in 15 seconds... 20MB/s.

Last edited:
Back