fine tuning migration process

tsmuser13

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
hi friends

we've maintained a storage hierarchy for our exchange backup.I mean this was done by the TSM consultants who implemented TSM in our company.

now first they have defined a random access pool 'EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL' with the following key parameters:

Storage Pool Name: EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL
Storage Pool Type: Primary
Device Class Name: DISK
Estimated Capacity: 32 G
High Mig Pct: 1
Low Mig Pct: 0
Next Storage Pool: EXCH_TP

the next storage pool EXCH_TP is an LTOCLASS defined storage with the following key parameters:

Storage Pool Name: EXCH_TP
Storage Pool Type: Primary
Device Class Name: LTOCLASS
Estimated Capacity: 60,085 G
High Mig Pct: 90
Low Mig Pct: 70

Our total size of exchange is 512 GB and since the high migration pct is 1 and low mig pct 0, i was thinking of removing this storage pool thereby taking my exchange backup solely on LTOCLASS tape as defined by storage pool EXCH_TP.Also, the time taken to backup the entire EXCHANGE is quite high and i suspect this inaccurate settings may be the reason behind this lenghty activity.

Deleting this storage pool (EXCAHNGE_DISKPOOL) might free up 32 GB of space.

so could you please tell me how do i go about deleting this storage pool 'EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL' and the volumes defined for this storage pool to free up the 32 GB and take my backup solely on tapes (EXCH_TP).

thanks in advance.

Regards,
Nate.

There may be a session-based reason why the backup is being fronted by a random access pool (i.e. not enough tape drives). Best check that first!

With the current settings I'm unsurprised that is a slow backup - migrating (draining) a pool at the same time that its filling with backup data imposes a lot of drag on both processes.

Your update will be a matter of updating the copygroup settings within your domain to send data straight to the tape pool, migrating the disk pool completely, then deleting its volumes and the pool itself. If you have admin tasks to do the migrate and/or stgpool backup they'll need modification too.

hth

Tony

Your update will be a matter of updating the copygroup settings within your domain

hth

Tony

hi tonyB, many thanks for your reply.

our exchnage_diskpool storage pool comes under 'backup' copygroup and the EXCH_TP comes under 'archive' copygroup as you can see below

Policy Domain Name: EXCHANGE
Policy Set Name: EXCHANGE
Mgmt Class Name: EXCHANGE_DAILY
Copy Group Name: STANDARD
Copy Group Type: Backup
Versions Data Exists: No Limit
Versions Data Deleted: No Limit
Retain Extra Versions: 10
Retain Only Version: 10
Copy Mode: Modified
Copy Serialization: Shared Static
Copy Frequency: 0
Copy Destination: EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL
Table of Contents (TOC) Destination:
Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
Last Update Date/Time: 03/09/08 17:09:40
Managing profile:
Changes Pending: No

Policy Set Name: ACTIVE
Mgmt Class Name: EXCHANGE_DAILY
Copy Group Type: Backup
Versions Data Exists: No Limit
Versions Data Deleted: No Limit
Retain Extra Versions: 10
Retain Only Version: 10
Copy Mode: Modified
Copy Frequency: 0
Copy Destination: EXCHANGE_DISKPOOL
Table of Contents (TOC) Destination:
Last Update Date/Time: 03/09/08 17:09:40
Managing profile:

and EXCH_TP storage pool details is:

Policy Set Name: EXCHANGE_DAILY
Mgmt Class Name: EXCHANGE
Copy Group Type: Archive
Retain Version: No Limit
Retention Initiation: Creation
Retain Minimum Days:
Copy Frequency: CMD
Copy Mode: Absolute
Copy Destination: EXCH_TP
Last Update Date/Time: 01/07/07 16:33:40
Managing profile:

so what should i do with these copygroup settings to redirect backups to tape.

regards,
nate.

You should change Exchange_DISKPOOL to Exchange_TP and you will bypass your disk. However I would like to stress the point that Tony made; you should make sure that you will have enough mount points at the time of backup.

However I would like to stress the point that Tony made; you should make sure that you will have enough mount points at the time of backup.

many thanks umur,

we have a SCSI library with 2 mount points available during the time of backup. will this be enough?

thanks again.

regards
nate

It depends on the usage of your library at that time; how many backup schedules are active, is there any migration or reclamation, even database backup may use a tape drive.

You should check "q ev * * " and "q event * t=a" to have a better idea. My guess is that the consultant has probably used this infrastructure for a reason.

many thanks umur for your help.

also thanks to tonyB.

Back