File group restore of sql db- how does this really work

MIR

Newcomer
Reaction score
I wud really appreciate if any1 can clarify these concepts

Can a file group be restored from file group bckup..? -ie. primary group from last full backup and requried file grp from latest file group +log bckup
or it has to full bckp every time to restore a single file group ...?

I knw its stupid to ask this but the redbook sg246148 states "You can perform partial restores only on full database backup objects." got confused with this sentence, If its so, then wat is the point in takin file group backups..?

------------
Wat shoud be the command, i m using cli becoz GUI relocate doesnt work for file grop restores (TSM version 5.4.5)

Our requirement is to perform, a single file group backup and restore the same wen required.
Shoud the command be : Tdpsqlc db_name FULL OR it is '"Tdpsqlc db_name Group=filegroup_name

Should I use /groups=.... as well ---Plz send me the command

--------------------------------------------
tdpsqlc rest Database_Name full
/fromsqlserver=Original_sqlserver
/sqlserver=Destined_SQLserver
/partial /groups=TERTIARY
/tsmoptfile=001.opt
/configfile=001.cfg
/tsmnode=node_SQL /tsmpassword=pwd /into=new_db
/relocate=Primary_File-Grp,Required-File-Grp,Log-File-Grp
/to=x:\blah\blah.mdf,x:\blah\blah.ndf,x:\blah\blah_Log.ldf /mountwait=yes

Last edited:
I was able to successfully restore single file group backup

here is what i have done -
1. I have taken Primary file group bkp + log backup + requried file group
2. Restore the same

Following is the command i used

tdpsqlc rest DataBase_Name Group=PRIMARY,Required_fileGroup
/fromsqlserver=Original_sqlserver
/sqlserver=Destined_SQLserver
/tsmoptfile=orinalsrv.opt
/configfile=tdpsql.cfg
/tsmnode=node_SQL /tsmpassword=pwd
/relocate=Primary_logicalFile,Log-File,Required-logicalFile
/to=d:\primary.mdf,d:\log.ldf,required.ndf
/mountwait=yes

How ever the database is still in restoring mode (ie. since in egroup restore recovery = no) , hence i tried to apply a log backup over it (taken after file group backup) with recovery = yes. Doesnt work - i might be committing some mistake in log restore, Any clues any1, is it really requried to restore log over filegroup restore..? or there is another way like running some sql command ..?

Tot of sharing my findings as this tread is left haning........
Ms SQL db, requires all file groups to be restored if we are restoring in to another server or with a different name (ie. creating a blank db). Otherwise log backup cannot be applied. !!!!!!!
I was trying to restore one file group (out of many) along with primary and log backup creating a new blank database. I was able to restore the file group but could not apply the log backup on to it. Then i came accross Ms KB article on this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281122

To sum up. File group backups (one more file groups) can only be applied to an existing database. We would need to restore full db first then apply the required latest file group....

ThnkU

Back