Fastback Full Restore

GregE

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok I'm not understanding something.

With TSM full recovery, we load a basic Windows OS and TSM client, and restore the C drive, systemstate, and all data drives are are back in business.

With Fastback, this is not possible.................without purchasing the additional Fastback BMR.............is that correct?

With Fastback, this is not possible.................without purchasing the additional Fastback BMR.............is that correct?

I believe this is correct.

Remember that FB is a very different approach as it can restore on NON-SIMILAR hardware which you can't do with your former restore procedure using the so called hybrid solution - restore a skeletion OS on an identical hardware and then restore back everything.

I just found this in the FB User Guide (not FB BMR). Sounds like BMR not needed, but this is all I see......
#
Recovering operating system partitions using Disk Restore
To use Disk Restore for the recovery of operating system partitions, go to FastBack Manager.
Click the Recovery tab and select the second button Disk Restore. Using this
option you can create a new disk from snapshots of several volumes. In addition,
select this option to recover entire systems to a comparable server, to a new server
with different hardware, or to a virtual machine (VMware or Microsoft Virtual
Server).

#

One more thing (I think) - Backup of the FB Server itself. Yes, we'd have an FB DR server, but that is only DR'ing the repository. Does the FB server backup itself to it's repository as any other client would?

I had a small test install many months ago, but it's been gone for sometime and I'm forgetting ALOT of it. Right now just trying to get a pricing quote and want to ask for the proper overall package.

Last edited:
I just found this in the FB User Guide (not FB BMR). Sounds like BMR not needed, but this is all I see......
#
Recovering operating system partitions using Disk Restore
To use Disk Restore for the recovery of operating system partitions, go to FastBack Manager.
Click the Recovery tab and select the second button Disk Restore. Using this
option you can create a new disk from snapshots of several volumes. In addition,
select this option to recover entire systems to a comparable server, to a new server
with different hardware, or to a virtual machine (VMware or Microsoft Virtual
Server).

#

One more thing (I think) - Backup of the FB Server itself. Yes, we'd have an FB DR server, but that is only DR'ing the repository. Does the FB server backup itself to it's repository as any other client would?

I had a small test install many months ago, but it's been gone for sometime and I'm forgetting ALOT of it. Right now just trying to get a pricing quote and want to ask for the proper overall package.

Ok - I thought you were referring to FB BMR.

Thus what you posted is then correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

I was referring to FB BMR as the only method of restoring an OS. But in the FB guide, it mentions restoration of OS partitions using "Disk Restore." Before I ran across that, my thinking was that there was no way to do a full restore of a client except with the addition of the FB BMR product.

So according to that excerpt, I can do hybrid restore, an OS-partition restore without FB BMR. If I can do that, I don't need to buy FB BMR. I'm not so concerned about dissimilar hardware.

Sorry to bump this but I'm in a tight spot on getting a pricing quote and didn't want to let it get lost. To do a full restore, back to an IDENTICAL machine, including system drive, can I do without Fastback BMR?

Sorry to bump this but I'm in a tight spot on getting a pricing quote and didn't want to let it get lost. To do a full restore, back to an IDENTICAL machine, including system drive, can I do without Fastback BMR?

My understading is that you need the BMR component which was licensed from Cristie's BMR if you need real BMR.

Thanks Ed. I've contacted IBM for clarification. They had none and suggested I call the reseller for more info.

To repeat...........IBM wasn't able to give me feature info on their IBM product.

Last edited:
Ok, apparently my excerpt info from the Fastback User Guide pertains to Fastback BMR, though the info from the non-BMR guide which is what causes the confusion. Here's info from my reseller........

With the base Fastback software and the case where your C drive was completely taken out you would typically install the OS and Applications , install the Fastback client and then restore data.

Another option would be to do a minimum install of of the OS to a small temporary partition, install the Fastback client in that partition and then assuming you do have a full backup the C partition/volume you could restore that backup to another partition. Then delete the temporary partition and you would be good as the restored Volume C would then be recognized as volume C.

Back