Failed firmware upgrade 3583

zzz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a 3583 library. Two days ago in the process of updating the system, I applied a firmware upgrade. When my computer that was uploading the firmware to the library (via the RMU) hit the 2nd drive sled, it froze. As a result, the drive is now offline--the library reports an error at startup that no drive is installed in the second slot and disables use of this drive. (The drive is LTO1 if that is significant.) The other two drives in the library continue to work properly.

Tried to reapply the firmware upgrade both via the RMU and via tapeutil over the SCSI bus from AIX but to no avail. The drive will not "come back". Can anyone shed any light on how I can recover from this?

Thanks!

create a firmware cartridge from properly working drives via console, and upgrade the failed drive with this firmware cartridge...

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no go. IBM had me try the same thing too. The problem is, it is not the drive's firmware that failed to load, but rather the drive sled's firmware (which gets updated as part of the library firmware update).

Basically, IBM was unable to help me resolve this. They sent a technician with a new drive. The new drive works great!

Back