Extremely SLOW backup

breasor

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When I say extremely slow, I mean 2 days to back up a gig. This is only happening on one server, a clustered file server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. All my other backup jobs are running fine. I have 115GB of Lotus Notes databases that back up in no time compared to the file server.

I started having problems about a week and a half ago after doing a restore job. Password got corrupted and it took a while to figure out that was what the problem was. I ran some tests and it seems everytime I do a restore I have this problem.

Now I'm trying to run my incremental backups and it just takes forever. I got my boss riding me wondering whats going on. He had the system installed without any of my input and won't let me get training, and now he wants to know what the problem is.

So now, I dont know where to start and try and trouble shoot. Any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated

When we see very slow backups we always verify the speed and duplex of the NIC first. Ethernet will "work" at the wrong duplex. This fixes ours greater than 90% of the time.

Andy

I dont think the NIC speeds are the problem, but I can manually set them. I have no problems with speed accessing the drives as a file server, just backing up the drives as a TSM client

Back