extend db

sersoy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I run command define dbvolume but db space not changed

when I run q db nothing changed on db size.

db size is same before I define new volume size 100MB

Attachments

• q_db.png
    q_db.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 3
I run command define dbvolume but db space not changed
Did you check the activity log to see if the process completed successfully?
If you do "query dbvolume", is the volume you created there? If not, check activity log why the define dbvolume failed.

Yes, I can see the volumes that I create new.

dsm11 and dsm12 are the new volumes

Attachments

• new_volumes.png
    new_volumes.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
Can you show the same output with F=D?

log is attached

Attachments

• log.txt
    8 KB · Views: 8
when I run backupset command I get error database temporary table storage has been exhausted.

new files are 20 MB and 100 MB that can be the problem?

Size is not the issue and TSM sees them. Did you run the extend DB command? You might not be "seeing" them due to their size not being large enough to effect the output from a Q DB perspective. If they show in the Q DBV command then TSM sees them and can use them.

if I want to add new volume what can the size should be

It can be any size you like but a small volume just doesnt make sense from a volume management perspective. Too many small volumes becomes a problem with TSM v5.5 or lower above a certain number. Not sure how many but over 20+ I remember. I would try to keep my DB volumes around the same size. A 100MB or 20MB volume is insignificant compared to the multiple 1024 (1GB) volumes you already have.

I am adding 1024 MB volumes that can be problem?

I have increased the db size now if I run backupset command can I get error?

backupset has nothing to do with the DB. A backupset is used to create a standalone group of tapes for a client machine that does not need the TSM DB to be read and recover data.

bu t when I run backupset for a client I get error database temporary table storage has been exhausted and backupset terminated

bu t when I run backupset for a client I get error database temporary table storage has been exhausted and backupset terminated
That can be because you need more space than what you added.
10GB is a tiny TSM database, double that and you should be good for a while.

Yes Marclant is correct. That information would have been helpful, but he is correct. If you don't have enough space for even a backupset to generate I would think your db usage is close to max and you should look at extending the db quite a bit and make sure you haven sufficient log space also.

Back