Exchange TDP question...

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
Hi.

We run a couple of backups for Exchange here...A server was migrated a while back to a new Exchange server. So that meant, new nodename and config.

The dsm.opt for the TDP was configured as follow:

NODename ExcServer1_Exchange
CLUSTERnode no
COMPRESSIon Off
PASSWORDAccess Generate

*================================================= =====================*
* TCP/IP *
*================================================= =====================*

COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPCLIENTPort 1502
TCPServeraddress TSMserver.domain.com
TCPWindowsize 63
TCPBuffSize 32

SCHEDMODE Prompted
SCHEDLOGRetention 30

INCLUDE "ExcServer1_Exchange\...\*" TDP_EXCHANGE

Now has you can see, the Include statement has the same name as my node...which was an error...but we detected it about 2-3 months later...
Technically, the include has to have the Exchange name found within the Mail Manager...but it was not set properly.

so what happened to my backups? We had no errors but when we try to restore, the backups do not show...

What does the TDP do, when going through my dsm.opt file with a bad Include statement? It should have been:

INCLUDE "ExcServer1\...\*" TDP_EXCHANGE

Any thoughts? Are they in /dev/null??? :)

Did you try a query filespace "your mail server name" to see if the backups exist?

Or

From the TDP command line type tdpexcc query exchange

Did you try a query filespace "your mail server name" to see if the backups exist?
Or
From the TDP command line type tdpexcc query exchange

Hi. well, i've tried both but no luck. I've tried also to retrieve a backup from late 2007, which technically should have been there but no luck once more...

I am thinking that since the include was bad, it either took the Default MC, which is 35 days and expired the backup or it did not take anything...

If the include is bad, and it is the only include in the dsm.opt, does the TDP or TSM for that matter back the rest up?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't think that having a bad include statement would exclude everything else. You should still have a TSM client back up, and I would think some sort of TDP back up or a failure or some logs of what it backedup. I think you're saying you don't have any exchange backups of the new machine, are you sure your TDP set up correctly for exchange?

Are you trying to restore to the 2007 backup to the same server? Or a this new server you created? I think if its a new server you'll have to change your TDP opt node name to match the old node name.

Hi again
I am thinking that it did took the backup at the time, but probably expired it through my default MC since it could not associate anything with the include statement...

I am looking to restore data from 2007 on the same server (exchange 2003). The node names are fine...it is the server name within the dsm.opt's include statement that was wrongly inserted at the beginning...

If our thinking is correct, and that it took the backup anyway, but did not use my MC, than too bad, backups have expired... :(

Back