Exchange TDP backs up white space?

itcsge

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Guys,

we don't have mailbox limits/quotas so we have a huge exchange estate that is going to cause us major headaches for backups and creating the offsites. we have over 4.5TB of exchange data...

my question is how does the TDP tackle exchange white space - will the end product backup be the exact size of the EDBs etc or will it ignore white space?

TIA

From what I understand.. correct me if i'm wrong.
if your exchange storage groupe files are 4.5TB and you only use 40% of if.. TDP will backup the 4.5TB... it's all or nothing. If you want to reduce the size and get rid of the white space, you have to do an "offline defrag of you mail store" - Dismount the store.. do the eseutiil blablabla...

look for the possibility to do lanfree backup with you exchange server, if not possible dedicate a LAN card for it, or maybe do a simutanous write if you can(never did it) but i'm looking for it.. it's in my do to list.

our exchange env is 2.5TB and they backup on one dedicated LAN card on my TSM server. We hit around 200gb/h during the process. We are looking to switch them to LANFree and use the Simultaneous Write

Last edited:
If by white space you mean the spaces in between words and paragraphs, then it is backed up the way TDP sees it. Bear in mind that not a lot of these white spaces will be there since TDP is really backing up a database and occurrances of white spaces are accounted for within the Exchange database. Mostly, TDP is backing up real data.

MB - I was thinking more about the white space in the database where items from exchange have been deleted and pages in the database become whitespace. As an organisation we have a half decent attempt to reuse this white space by running online maintenance of the exchagne dbs but we still have more space than i'd like - and if TSM backs it up its not ideal but still....

thanks the_wipet - thats what i thought....

Last edited:
We are running into similar issues and we are around 3.2 TB of exchange data, with hardware compression I we can fit that backup on a lto4 tape with no issues. The real problem were facing is moving the 3.2TB to TSM on a regular basis.

Wipet

You said
>>We are looking to switch them to LANFree and use the Simultaneous Write

As far as I know you cannot use simultaneous write for LAN Free operations.

Cheers

Back