Exchange server backup and databases - advice

tjcooper

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am bringing up a replacement exchange server and I am looking at the existing backup config.

It looks like my predacessor was backing up all local drives with the backup client. Is that necessary? If the local drives, all but C:, are databases, doesnt the TSM exchange client back them up?

Files containing Exchange data will be automatically excluded by the BA Client. If there's really nothing else on those drives, the backups will be so small as not to matter anyway.

Necessary, no, but it can't really hurt and you never know when it might help.

Does the baclient auto exclude the EDB/STM files? Which part of the defult incl/excl optfile does this? i've missed something...

I think it's in the VSS excludes. There are more excludes than just the ones in the opt-file. There's also a bunch in the registry (look under HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/BackupRestore/), and maybe more. Don't know if there's convenient one-stop documentation somewhere.

Created Schedules

I installed both clients and created the two schedules, one for the BA client and another for exchange. Well see how it runs tonight.

Thank you for your help.

I dont think it ran. I cant find the excfull.log. How do you tell if it ran, what should I see?

Back