Exchange Backup without additional Scheduler?

tobi007

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

we have several small exchange servers to backup. normally you define an command schedule with the full path to the cmd script for each server.

is it possible to trigger and control the tdp cmd script in an other way? maybe the postcmd? what is your best practice?

cu tobi

Yeah Moon-Buddy is right. The only issue is if the Exchange DB runs long and causes the FS to miss its window (or vice versa). We did it that way and it worked fine as long as the backup time frame did not get out of hand. The other thing is that you can't check the event report and see directly if the Exchange node ran successfully, you have to make sure you look for the standard node name and the schedule that runs the Exchange backup. (Not a big deal but can be confusing for non backup people).

Multiple Schedules on the Server:
The Problem is that the TSM Client User cant set the CMD-Path/File himself and always need assistance from the TSM-Administrator to setup an Schedule on the Server.

I almost alway have 2 different node names; one for the server itself and one for the TDP client. Much easier to handle different retention periods and DR. (A lot of the time the Exchange admins have alternate ways of recoverying the server and do not need o/s backups at all.)

2 different client names, 2 different scheduler services, 2 different port numbers (ll_addr). You can also let the admins schedule their own backups through AT and let them be responsible for monitoring their own backups.

I almost alway have 2 different node names; one for the server itself and one for the TDP client.

Agreed. Most convenient for DR (although any DR/DR test is most likely hellish anyhow).

I've had great success running both a base node and then a TDP node.

There are different situations that can be done though, depending on:
1) Full backups everyday?
2) Differential or incremental everyday and 1 full per week?

All depends on the situation.

Back