Exchange backup Full - Diff - Inc - Diff

Masonit

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi!

As the title say. Is it possible to run Full - Diff - Inc - Diff

\Masonit

What is DIFF for? I see no need for DIFF. You can but you need three TSM schedules for this.

Last edited:
Acronym for DIFF?

May i know what is the Acronym for DIFF?:confused:

What is DIFF for? I see no need for DIFF. You can but we need three TSM schedules for this.

Faster restore and more safe. One media error and the chain is broken with inc...

\Masonit

What version of Exchange?
I'm not 100% certain the routine you are suggesting is possible. We don't run diffs but can you run one after an inc because the logs will have been purged? I'd definitely do some restore tests before implementing proper.

Also diffs might not be a good idea if you are concerned about your log disks filling.

That is why you have offiste copies to compensate for media error. You do have offsite copies, right?

Of course. =) I just prefer diff, but maybe I have to reconsider..

\Masonit

What version of Exchange?
I'm not 100% certain the routine you are suggesting is possible. We don't run diffs but can you run one after an inc because the logs will have been purged? I'd definitely do some restore tests before implementing proper.

Also diffs might not be a good idea if you are concerned about your log disks filling.

2003-2010.

Yes I have to test it but it seems like no one else run diff - inc - diff. So I think I will skip the idea. The problem with inc for use. Is that we run Exchange backup 4 times during the day. With one full backup per/week. Then we have to restore 24 inc on the day before full...

\Masonit

2003-2010.

Yes I have to test it but it seems like no one else run diff - inc - diff. So I think I will skip the idea. The problem with inc for use. Is that we run Exchange backup 4 times during the day. With one full backup per/week. Then we have to restore 24 inc on the day before full...

\Masonit

Why 4 Incremental backups? How big is you Exchange DB?

To get more restore points. We have multiple Exchange servers ranging from 10 GB - 350 GB.

\Masonit

I believe there is no need to have multiple Incremental backups. I have a 400 GB Exchange doing only one Incremental daily at 28 GB. The Full is done on Sunday.

Back