Exchange 2003 single mail restore?

antepante

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
Hi all,

I need a solution for single mail restore with TSM and Exchange 2003. TSM has only single mailbox restore support. Is there some other product that I can install to enable this?

Regards
./Andreas

Bckupexec can do it online,

but you have also the "Exmerge" option of MS Exchange wich can be use in complementry to TSM....

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, Backup Exec and ARCserve and a few other backup software can do it :( . I'm looking for an other software solution that does this, we will still use TSM to secure Exchange for total data recovery.

Do you have some experience with the Exmerge option? (I will do some research on my own)

ExMerge is a utility that was written by Microsoft in order to backup individual user mailboxes extracting them from the Exchange JET database.

I use this utility in conjunction with TSM. What I do is run the ExMerge.exe program through a batch file or CMD file (DOS Mode!) to extract individual user mailbox and saved as PST files. The resulting PST files are them backed up with TSM. Others refer to this as the "brick" backup.

Alternatively, you can extract a specific mailbox (a person's mailbox) from the entire database.

Should you need to restore a person's mailbox, all you have to do is import the PST file into Outlook and extract the information you need.

Here is a link to ExMerge:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ec-dcdf-47dc-96da-1c12d67327d5&DisplayLang=en

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.

I will test your solution. But I have also searched and found Recovery Manager for Exchange from Quest software. I have not tried it yet, but it looks like it will do the things we requested.

Regards

you got KVS,
can be really usefull for Exchange Admins, but
got to be aware that is really heavy to manage

Exchange mailbox recovery with Quest

We are using Quest to recover mailboxes. Works just fine for us.

dtyree, how do you do your TSM TDP backups when you use Recovery Manager for Exchange? Always full backup? Or can the Quest software handle diff/inc TSM TDP backups to?

Regards

Back