Error "License registration is not supported on this server" (ANR9638W) TSM 8.1.4

blankgap

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I'm pretty new to the TSM world (and adsm.org - great board!) and have the following issue:

After a fresh install (no upgrade) of TSM Server 8.1.4 (downloaded from IBM passport advantage) on 2 devices the registration of Spectrum Protect Extended Version fails running the following command:

Protect: XXXBKP01>reg lic file=tsmee.lic
ANR2852I Current license information:
ANR9638W License registration is not supported on this server.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

This happens on both servers, so I guess I did something wrong in the installation process.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Benjamin

Hi moon-buddy,

thank you for your answer.
Yes, I have selected to install extended version.

Running register license file=*.lic leads to the same error code.

I did some research and found this (regarding server upgrade, but issue is the same):
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21980436
Resolving the problem
The adsmlicn.dll and/or dataret.lic, tsmbasic.lic, and tsmee.lic are missing from the server directory.

I the *.lic files are all there, but adsmlicn.dll is not in the server directory.

Do you know if this information is still valid with v8.X versions (support-document is from 2016)?
And if so, where to obtain adsmlicn.dll?

Kind regards

The license package is in 8.1.1
So download the 8.1.1 server package to get IBM Spectrum Protect license 8.1.1.20170317_1443

Regards, Marcel

Hi Marcel,

just to clarify: With "Spectrum Protect license 8.1.1.20170317_1443", do you mean the *.lic files, the adsmlicn.dll or did I get this completely wrong?

Thanks, Benjamin

You can download the 8.1.1. server package from Passport Advantage and run the install.sh -c again.
Then you find the license package to install:

View the following installed packages and fixes. Enter the number to see the details of a package group, package, or fix.
1-. IBM Spectrum Protect
2. IBM Spectrum Protect server 8.1.5.20180319_1549
3. IBM Spectrum Protect license 8.1.1.20170317_1443

Thank you Marcel, this system is running on Windows Server 2016 but your hint is working.
Process is the same as on RHEL as I just had to run install.bat and install license 8.1.1.20170317_1443.

Thanks again!
Benjamin

Back