dsmadmc login and inactivity time out

droach

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to set dsmadmc to NOT require login account/password? Also, how to set the inactivity timeout value for dsmadmc?

Thanks

Create a script like:

dsmadmc -id=userid -password=password

and run this. There isn't a setting FOR NO login per se. Just a work around.

There is no inactivity timeout that I know of (I maybe out dated though!) within TSM.

Thanks moon-buddy. I thought there was a way to turn off authentication so you wouldn't get prompted or need to supply login credentials.

My bigger problem is that after a start dsmadmc it times out after about 10-15 minutes with no warning. When I try to enter a command after this time period I get a funky TCP error (see example below). Below I entered a 'q proc' command and get a good response. After waiting about 15 mins I entered the command again and get the error. I must re-enter dsmadmc and log in all over again.

tsm: MYSERVER_SERVER1>q proc
Process Process Description Status
Number
-------- -------------------- -------------------------------------------------
249 Space Reclamation Offsite Volume(s) (storage pool OFFDATA), Moved
Files: 499189, Moved Bytes: 129,746,330,902,
Unreadable Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0.
Current Physical File (bytes): None Current
input volume: NXT020. Current output volume:
NX0018.

tsm: MYSERVER_SERVER1>q proc
ANS1033E An invalid TCP/IP address was specified.
ANS8041E The server connection has been lost and cannot be re-established.

ANS8002I Highest return code was -1.

D:\Program Files\tivoli\tsm\server\tsmdiag>

I suspect it is not a TSM issue but a layer underneath. It looks like a timeout on a network share process (like automounter) or a shell or a port being closed due to exceeding a timeout value.

Check logs outside of TSM for a report of this 'disconnect'.

There is a session timeout in TSM but the client should automatically reconnect. There is some other issue as to why it wont reconnect.

-Aaron

Working now...

Thanks everyone for getting me to look in other directions. I think I figured it out. :up:

In my Monitor I was seeing the normal session started messages when I launched dsmadmc, and I saw a session terminated message after 15 mins. of inactivity. In my dmserror.log I saw these errors after I issued a command after 15 mins of dsmadmc inactivity:

06/11/2008 14:32:46 ANS4039E Could not establish a session with a TSM server or client agent. The TSM return code is -53.
06/11/2008 14:32:46 ANS1033E An invalid TCP/IP address was specified.
06/11/2008 14:32:46 ANS8041E The server connection has been lost and cannot be re-established.

The ANS4039E -53 return code suggested that the server name that was being used to re-establish the connection was invalid.:rolleyes: Didn't tell me what name it was using so I checked my dsm.opt file to see what name it might have been using. Turns out that my dsm.opt file located in the ..\tsmdiag folder was empty. :confused: I added the TCPPORT and TCPSERVERADDRESS values and like magic it is now able to re-establish the connection.

Not sure why it even connects in the first place with an empty dsm.opt file, but it sure won't reconnect without the correct server info in the file. I had the same issue on both my TSM servers. Adding the TCP info in both empty dsm.opt files fixed them both.

Thanks again everyone...:)

Back