DRM tape retention

raj2989

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi

How many days tape should be in Vault ,on which parameter it depends on.

How to check and trace ?

Is it going to different on various stgpools ?

Thanks in advance

How long the tape stays in the vault depends on your retention policies. On the other other hand, if this is for the DB backups, how long it stays depends on how long you have defined to hold your databse backup via the 'delete volhist ....' command.

In general your copy pool and offsite pool share the same retention policy which, again, determines how long the offsite tapes stays in the vault.

Last edited:
Raj
This type of question should be posted back to your management on governing your data retention policies. But in general - most rotate their DB volumes every two weeks or on a 14 day rotation - this is governed in your DRM module. Some execute del volhist type=dbb or dbs every 7 days - and keep 7 days offsite - Some have multiyear management classes as part of their data retention ruleset.
These questions need to be "round-tabled" amongst your management, DBA team, end users, legal, exchange group to outline or review current or future data retention requirements - then configure TSM accordingly.

Good luck
Steven

Thanks for valuable updates guys,

But what i need to understand is where i can configure in TSM that when the tapes should go to offsite and come back.,its not about the DB backups only data tapes as well.

means xxxxx tape should got offsite on xx/xx/xxxx date and should come back.

Tapes that go offsite are controlled by DRM, see "help move drmedia". DRM automatically manages which tapes are required to come back and tells you when. Data tapes come back when they are empty or reclaimed by reclamation, this is really controlled by your MC retention periods and your reclamation thresholds.

The length of time dbbackups stay offsite is controlled by "set DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS" (or del volh type=dbb todate=-7 if you aren't following best DRM practice...)

Hi ,

I understood that it's been controlled by DRM but i am confused some time tapes which has less than 65% utilization also going to offsite and sometime its 100%.

sometime it come back in 2 days and sometime it comes in 8 to 9 days..

:-(

Back