DRM strategy - will this work?

cmoeller

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hey!

We have a TSM Server and two NAS devices for storage in our branch offices, the TSM server in branch offices is always a virtual machine (Hyper-V). Now in case the virtual machine or the entire host ist lost, I'd like to be able to recover the site ASAP.

Now my idea is this:

- I do an Export of the virtual machine to the two NAS devices, i.e. create a copy that can later be imported again
- I do the DB Backups, Volhist, Devconfig etc. on the NAS devices (this is being done already).

Now if the host fails, I would import the (old!) state of the VM and thus the old state of TSM and simply use the current volhist, devconfig and DB Backups to update the database to the last backed up state - and would now have a working backup system with which I could restore the remaining virtual machines. The thing is that this "export" can be started on any Hyper-V capable host, so I could get the backup back online on any machine if really necessary.

Any flaws you can make out?

Regards
Chris

If I have a similar setup, I would also do it this way.

My only concern is running TSM on Virtual machines - I just hope the load will not get bigger which will affect performance for the other guest machines.

Back