DR Plan File (prepare)

jordan

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I send tapes offsite once a week. forthat, I only run DRM script once a week, in the script I create DBS to send offsite then do the move drm and etc.....

the script emails me result of "q drm * wherestatemountable s=dbs" I see the offsite stg tapes that should go offsite and dbs tapes too.

After running prepare command and looking at DR Plan file I see the offsite data tapes which are correct and for the database restore I see the volume name that has a full backup not dbs. this full backup was created by the maintenance script and should stay onsite.

I run a daily maintenance script that copy diskstgpool to backuptape pool and created full backup. I also have a cronjob that deletes full backup older then 2 days.

I hope this is not as confusing but as a tsm starter I am still trying to figure out the best way to do things.

Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,

You are doing it backwards. DRM will not manage DBSNAPSHOT volumes offsite. Send the DBBACKUP volumes offsite keep the DBSNAP on site. Then DRM will manage them and add to your vaultr list. Remove s=dbs from your offsite scripts.

The default for prepare is DBBACKUP. To run a prepare for the DBS you need to use prepare source=dbsnap

Prepare s=dbs works fine, thanks.

Looking at Disaster Preparation and Recovery IBM TSM traning guide 5.3 dated July 2005. The book stated that..

"On-site database backup can be full + inc series"

"Off-site database backup should be database snapshot"

this contradict what you have said? Please advice, thanks.

DRM will manage both DBBackups and DBSnapshot depending on what you tell it to manage (source=) Deciding which to use is a personal perfernce. I like using a full DBB for DR but others like to use DBS. The group of people that wrote that version of the manual liked using DBS. Both are correct and both will work.

TSM....a billion ways to do something, all of them right and all of them wrong...all at the same time.

-Aaron

Back