dr media doesn't track sequential storage pool volumes taken offsite? how do I do it?

caldwem01

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I noticed that dr media doesn't track my tape backup pool (primary stg pool data on tape) vol. we are sending it offsite until it expires in 365 days. I have to update the volume to say it is offsite in a vault and unavailable. But this makes it hard to track this one or two oddball volumes. By the way I do already have the data in a copypool, we just created a backup pool as a secondary thing to take offsite. But I can't track it easily...

Any suggestions? Can I trick TSM somehow? should I setup an archive pool instead?

Thanks

dr media are the tapes to be used in DR. The assumption is, the primary tapes were onsite and destroyed and you will recover from the copypool volumes. DRM does not track tapes in the primary pool, only copy pools

For long term backups, archives are better (to me, anything more then 30 days is long term) TSM will still want to make a copy of these volumes so they can be tracked by DRM, but if they are the only volumes in the stgpool, they should be fairly easy to track without DRM.

-Aaron

Back