Domino TDP and Schedules

Aaron S.

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I work with an environment that operates several Domino Servers on a single AIX box that has been divided into several logical partitions. Each logical partition runs mutiple Domino Servers, and my goal is to have the backups for TDP Domino for each server automated via schedules.

Right now I have achieved that by tailoring a command file to each Domino Server. I feel this is the incorrect way to do this and would like to do it correctly, meaning have all Domino Servers centralized through a single schedule pointing to a single command script - otherwise I have to continuously create a schedule for each domino Server so that it can point to a specific command script.

Here is a copy of one of the command scripts (note I changed the node information for security purposes):

DOM_ID=DominoServer1
export DOM_ID_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID}

date >> ${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsched.log.sel

iam=`whoami`
if [ ${iam} = "root" ]
then
su - ${DOM_ID} "-c /opt/ibm/lotus/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID} selective "'"*"'" /subdir=yes -adsmoptfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/dsm.opt -logfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsel.log" >>${DOM_ID_
DIR}/domsched.log.sel &
else
/opt/ibm/lotus/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID} selective "'"*"'" /subdir=yes -adsmoptfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/dsm.opt -logfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsel.log >>${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsched.log.se
l &
fi

While this works, it forces me to tailor a script to each Domino Server specifically. I am wondering if there is a way to remove the DOM_ID value from being a specific Domino Server ID to a generic variable that can be based on TSM executing the script, determining which Server ID to log in as based on which node it is logging in as. (Each Server is registered as its own node, obviously). This way a single script and schedule pointing to that script can be used for all Domino Servers.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Last edited:
I dont know much about Dominoe, however you could try creating a server group and executing a TSM script to all the members in the group?

On another note.

your TDP command:
opt/ibm/lotus/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID} selective "'"*"'" /subdir=yes -adsmoptfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/dsm.opt -logfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsel.log

Does the highlighted options over ride any excludes contained within the dsm.opt file?
If it does what would be the command line options to exclude a directory that exists on several dominoe clusters.

Hi See below!
just update DOM_ID to suit your needs and yiu can serialize the backup like this.

DOM_ID=DominoServer1

iam=`whoami`
if [ ${iam} = "root" ]
then
su - ${DOM_ID} "-c /opt/ibm/lotus/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID} selective "'"*"'" /subdir=yes -adsmoptfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/dsm.opt -logfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsel.log" >>${DOM_ID_
DIR}/domsched.log.sel &
else
/opt/ibm/lotus/bin/domdsmc_${DOM_ID} selective "'"*"'" /subdir=yes -adsmoptfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/dsm.opt -logfile=${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsel.log >>${DOM_ID_DIR}/domsched.log.se
l &
fi

DOM_ID=DominoServer2

iam=`whoami`
if [ ${iam} = "root" ]
then
DIR}/domsched.log.sel &
else
l &
fi

DOM_ID=DominoServer3

iam=`whoami`
if [ ${iam} = "root" ]
then
DIR}/domsched.log.sel &
else
l &
fi

Hi guys,

Thank you both for the replies and I apologize for being so late on checking this thread - been busy, I'm sure you can easily relate.

Strangely I never thought of combining all of them into a single execution file. I feel that method will work hogmaster and therefore, when I have time, will test the implementation.

With regard to the exclusion of databases, ironzulu, we are backing up all databases so I am liberated of that concern. I have not yet had to work with excluding databases though I'd imagine you can add an exclude statement (exclude /<Servername>.DOMDBS/<domino database relative path name> maybe? I'd have to look it up again but there is a way and you use relative pathnames) to the appropriate file (dsm.sys or inclexcl file pointed to from the dsm.sys file).

Thanks again for both of your responses and as soon as I implement this script I will get back to you with success/fail for others who hit a similiar snag.

-Aaron

Back