does anyone know about revision 5.2

Hi,

Wisely you ask others about experiences before an upgrade :)

One should not wait too long to upgrade, but keep a steady upgrade scheme. Too many versions between upgrades could mean much more work to complete properly.

What Operating Systems are you interested in?

I will only list problems here, as the product changes are thoroughly documented in product manuals in chapter "Summary of changes.." (e.g. anrwgd51 and ans60000)

Open File Support does not work properly, also you cannot have OFS support on the same drive as you cachefile is (!!). Which basically means you cannot use it on machines with only ONE local drive! I have also tested with 3 different open files (Word, MS Access and Wordpad - none of which were written to during backup - all failed. This occurs on XP/2000/2003. "ANS1375E The snapshot operation failed is" the theme on all open files. This is really frustrating, as all competing products have this working very well.

Silent install is poorly documented - even incorrectly documented (ADDLOCAL parameter). I have looked through the msi-packages and found many items that can be installed silently, but no mention of it in any documentation. Or the documentation lists options that do not exist in msi package! I have used MS Plattform SDK/Orca, but this is hardly a default tool wherever TSM is to be rolled out. The latest DPSQL is the one with most errors.

Still no support for Exchange brick-level backup/restore .

Still problems in some modules in regards to proper handling of filenames with spaces (e.g Program Files). Most modules will properly process "C:\Program Files\TSM", but external commands containing this string will fail.

The webadmin will not save fields which value is deleted (Admin Web\client schedules\update, fields options and objects ). The GUI will state success, but when you reopen data page the full string is still there.

Uninstall of backuparchive client does NOT remove any installed services (CAD, Scheudler, etc). You MUST create your own utility/scripts (e.g. "sc.exe delete servicename").

Uninstall of DPSQL removes online documentation shortcut for all other products if exist.

I am also verifying a possible issue wih DPSQL diff backup: When the size of the diff backup is larger than the diskpool, the pool fills up to 100% - the migration does not start (no error logged). This is never an issue with full backup. This is not confirmed yet.

If your interest is only in Unix, you see what happens when you do not specify :)

If you do not have the product manuals, please send me an email and I will rpely with exerpts.

Regards

[email protected]

Back