Directory-Container pools and migration

rowl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am reading through the Spectrum Protect 8.1 documentation and see that Directory-Container pools have Migration listed as a function that can't be used. I had hoped we could set up our storage pools in such a way that we could migrate dusty old data off to an object store setting up a migration delay of 365 days or something along those lines.

Anyone hear if this may change down the road? If not, any suggestions on how to do an age based data migration? Looks like move nodedata or move data don't have date options unless that has been added in a release newer than 7.1.1.

Given the potential savings from dedup and compression I am not sold on this being worth doing. Just something to check into.

Thanks,
-Rowl

There's no way to migrate data out of a container pool. It's also highly possible that old data have duplicate chunks with newer versions, so you'd actually consume more space by moving data out (if possible).

I'm currently working with a TSM (Spectrum Protect) v 8.1.0 installation that the customer wanted to use only one directory / container stgpool per "front-end" TSM instance.

It works to move TSM node data into a container pool (setup without compression but working inline dedup) by using "node replication" from TSM servers that use 7.1.6 and 7.1.7.

The two front-end TSM servers replicate it's container stgpool to a dedicated back-end replication "target" server via cmd: "protect stgpool <stgpool>".

As I read in an IBM web site before 8.1.0 was released there would might be a "move nodedata" function to and/or from a Container pool but I haven't had time to test it yet.

Also you can convert a FileDev pool to a container pool directly (background process) via dsmadmc (earlier it was via the O.C) > convert stgpool:

CONvert STGpool--source_stgpool--target_stgpool-------------->

.-MAXPRocess--=--8----------.

>--+---------------------------+--+----------------------+-----><

'-MAXPRocess--=----number---' '-DUration--=--minutes-'

//Nicke

Back