Difference between offloaded backup from primary node, and replica backup from passiv

Reszo

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
As the title says, what is the difference between an offloaded backup from primary node, and a replica backup from the passive node in an exchange setup running on a Windows Cluster ussing CCR.

Environment
Exhange 2007
Windows 2008

BA Client 6.2.1
TDP for Exchange 6.1.2
FlashCopy Manager 2.2
Copy Services Exchange VSS Integration Module 5.5.1

TSM server 5.5

We did not use a separate 'offload backup' server. The remote DSMAgent node is the passive node of the cluster.

My main issue is that running offloaded backups from the GUI on the primary node always results in a "FMV1353E (RC53) Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered" I have reset passwords on both the XCH TDP node and the BA nodes, to no avail.

I have installed DSMAgent and Remote Client agent on both nodes.

Running a VSS 'From replica' backup from the passive node is successful.

Could it be that everything is ok, and an 'offloaded' backup is only to be run from a totally separate server, and that running a replica backup in my environment is the correct way? dont know.

Thanks in advance.

CCR backups

Hello Reszo

Our IT organization has the same setup as your organization in terms of TSM client levels

Environment
Exhange 2007
Windows 2008

BA Client 6.2.1
TDP for Exchange 6.1.2
FlashCopy Manager 2.2 -- we do not have this component installed.
Copy Services Exchange VSS Integration Module 5.5.1

TSM server 5.5

We did not use a separate 'offload backup' server. The remote DSMAgent node is the passive node of the cluster.

First I do not yet know the answer to your question but if I find out I will let you know.

Since we have similiar setup I would like to ask you a question.

Question: I thought FlashCopy was only used to perfrom VSS hardware backups, is that true or is FlashCopy necessary to perform Exchange backups from the passive node.

Our issue is we successfully run backups from the active side of the Exchange cluster everynight and at the end of the backup the Exchange logs get truncated.

We have tried to run the backups from the passive nodes and the exchange database backups work properly but after the backup the exchange logs do not truncate, have you ever ran into this issue?

Back