Destroy a container pool in one simple step?

mirrorsaw

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've read this statement over and over, sure that I'm misinterpreting it - can it be true?

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...tory-container storage pools FAQs?section=q22

"Tip: Do not specify a value of 0 for the REUSEDELAY parameter. If you specify the REUSEDELAY=0 parameter on the DEFINE STGPOOL or UPDATE STGPOOL command, all of the data in the container storage pool is deleted. "

Now - I'm a little concerned, because this morning in an effort to find out why my 100TB pool, showing only 80% used, runs out of space each night for backups, I indeed set reusedelay=0 and saw 16TB of space immediately be returned to Windows.

Surely, SURELY, this wouldn't have deleted any data, let alone all of the data in the pool? Will I get a nasty surprise tomorrow?

Yep, pretty sure that's a typo...

The REUSEDELAY parm acts as a buffer for storage pool containers in the event of a system DB restoration.
All that should occur when that's set to '0' is that containers which contain 'expired' data don't hang around for the 'x' number of days per the REUSEDELAY setting. Instead they are immediately purged from the Storage pool directories and the space released back to the OS.

Yep, pretty sure that's a typo...

The REUSEDELAY parm acts as a buffer for storage pool containers in the event of a system DB restoration.
All that should occur when that's set to '0' is that containers which contain 'expired' data don't hang around for the 'x' number of days per the REUSEDELAY setting. Instead they are immediately purged from the Storage pool directories and the space released back to the OS.

Thanks! That's the kind of reassurance I was looking for.

Back