Demystify Servername nodename and the such.

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
Hi.

can someone explain the difference between the options servername, nodename and tcpserveraddress...

For example, within a dsm.sys file containing this:

SErvername name of TSM server or client server?
Nodename name of node within TSM
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress Name of TSM server?

thanks.

Unix:

SErvername in dsm.sys is usually the client node itself
SErvername in dsm.opt must match the SErvername in dsm.sys (ie, both are usually the client node name itself)
-That is how the "stanza's" match each other up.
You can really name them whatever you want, as long as they match up.
I prefer to call them by the node they represent.

Nodename in dsm.sys is the same (ie, client node itself)
This should always be the node name for which the files are stored as in TSM, but is an optional value really for OS backups.
(I should say, we don't even use this on my AIX & Solaris boxes though, but it is there on Linux)

TCPServeraddress is the IP address of your TSM Server (backup network IP)
This is how the node knows where to contact the TSM server.

Does that help?
-Chef.

Last edited:
"Servername" is nothing but the name of the stanza and they should have given it a name like "connectionname" or "sessionoptions_name" or whatever to avoid confusion. Think of the stanza as a set of options, addressable through its name (servername). You can use it in many ways (to address different servers, use different nodenames or just different options). Depending on which set of options you want to use, you can use the "-se=servername" with dsmc, dsm, dsmadmc etc. If you do not specify the stanza using "-se=", TSM will use the servername specified in dsm.opt or (if there is none specified there) the first stanza in dsm.sys. In Windows its a little different because there is no dsm.sys. Instead of that you can group your options in different optfiles and address then with dsmc, dsmadmc etc. using "-optfile=".

Hope it helps.

PJ

Back