Deleted filespace keeps coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

junk2

Newcomer
Reaction score
TSM 6.3.4 on RHEL6

For years we have been backing up the /opt/junk filesystem on a RHEL5 machine named CLIENT1.

Now, we want to stop backing up that filesystem and additionally remove existing backups of that filesystem from TSM.

/etc/inclexcl.def has been changed on CLIENT1 to say "exclude.dir /opt/junk" , and looking at dsmsched.log on CLIENT1 reveals that it is indeed being skipped when backups are performed.

In dsmadmc, i've performed DEL FILESP CLIENT1 /opt/junk and although the log says "0 objects deleted", it completes successfully, and the /opt/junk filespace no longer shows up in Q FILESP .

But, the next day, when I do a Q FILESP , /opt/junk again shows up, with the same amount of GB as before. I have done this several days in a row, and each time the filespace comes back the next morning.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any clues...

Last edited:
When there is a change in the dsm.opt and/or dsm.sys the schedule daemon need to be stop and restarted so that the new update(s) are read into memory.

Good Luck,
Sias

Hi,

"Q FILESPACE" shows data about filesystem reported by the client - it does not show amount of data in the TSM (use "q occ <node> <filespace>" instead). So if TSM client "touches" the filesystem then filespace is created (even if everything in it is excluded).
Try "exclude.fs /opt/junk" in your dsm.sys (and restart the scheduler/CAD if used - as Sias mentioned).

Harry

Thank you.... I had been misinterpreting the output of QUERY FILESPACE. The filespace was not in fact coming back. And, as you say, QUERY OCCUPANCY does what I was looking for. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back