deduplication database corruption...

oskie

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
2010-06-28 16:57:47
ANR4895E Deduplicated bitfile 687627729 on volume E:\FILE098.DSM has invalid links. (SESSION: 60856)

ANR0543W Retrieve or restore failed for session 60856 for node xyz (WinNT) - data transfer interrupted. (SESSION: 60856)

ANE4035W (Session: 60856, Node: xyz) Error processing '\\xyz\d$\...file\': file currently unavailable on server. (SESSION: 60856)

Happy days... Deduplication info in the database is corrupted... I'm starting not to trust TSM dedup technology! Fortunately I have copies on tape but does anyone know how to restore from the copypool specifically?

Oskar

There is some manual SQL to run and some macros to build and run to flag the files as destroyed so that you can do a 'restore stgpool'.

I have dumped deduplication.. and had to start a fresh server because it was so bad that I am STILL trying to resolve it. I've had to bring back hundreds of tapes to resurrect the old server and we have data loss at this point.

Run far, far, far, far away.

Open a PMR to get the issue resolved though...

Doesn't sound too reassuring :)

I have a PMR open since last week regarding another problem related to deduplication. We have a couple of volumes with 0.0% utilization and status=full that won't be reclaimed, and I suspect more volumes with low utilization are frozen in this way.

Maybe we'll dump deduplication as well since it only saves 40% for us...

Oskar

You probably have a bad bitfile and can't reclaim because it can't write the file to another volume. if you q contents <vol> for the one that's showing 0.0%, do you have any files remaining?

And regarding the restore: When I ran restore from the command line the second time, it used tapes by default rather than the file stgpool, even without location=tape. Strange... Oh well, at least the files were restored correctly.

Yes, it's a bad bitfile but q contents for the volume show no contents whatsoever...

Back