Deactivate/Delete Management Class

jkelahan

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to clean up some old TSM configs, etc. and would like to delete some Management Classes that are no longer used. Obviously, I can't delete the "Active" Management Classes, so how do I get rid of these? Is there a way to deactivate them?

This seems like it should be a fairly simple thing to do, but I can't find any answers...

Thanks in advance!

Hi J,

You cannot delete a mgmtclass which is active in a policyset..A policyset can be deleted only when it is inactive.

You can delete the management class if this is NOT the default one. To delete the default management class, create a new management class, make it the default, and delete the old one. Take note that all defined node under the management class will be affected.

As CrazyTSM said, you can't delete a management class in an ACTIVE policy set. You'll have to delete it in the corresponding policy set that you made the ACTIVE, then activate that policy set.

Keep in mind that this will effect all of your backups in that domain, meaning if you have backups that are journaled because of the number of files, their next backup (after activation) is going to backup as if there is no journal. I have a system with 40 million files and is journaled, and when I have to put in a new management class and activate the policy set, the next backup runs through all 40 million files and takes hours to complete. I wish there was something Tivoli development could do to change this design.

Back