DBBACKUP using scratch media every backup.

mriviell

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Silly question regarding DBBACKUP to media.

Made a change to TSM 5.4 running on Windows 2003 Server last week.

I was running out of disk space and found that the DBBACKUP was going to disk. I created a new device class for DBBACKUP type LTO and set the maintenance script to backup to the new device class 6 incrementals than 1 full, 14 day retention.

My problem is that the DBBACKUP is using a scratch media every morning. Is there a way for DBBACKUP to append to the DRMEDIA that is still in a mountable state? Or is this a cycle I have to live with.

hi,
dbbackup will always use a scratch media. You may consider doing a full DB Backup every day, and keep some of them by tuning volhistory.
cheers
max

Fwiw

You may have already figured out a scheme, but here is what I do to limit the number of scratch tapes DBBACKUP uses. I limit TSM to three copies of the database on tape;i.e., three tapes. Everyday I run:

delete volhistory type=dbbackup todate=today-3

followed by

backup db devclass=3592-g2 type=full scratch=no VOLUMENAMES=nxt005,nxt007,nxt009

This forces TSM to look for and use only the three tapes specified in the backup db command.

I make all day my delete volhist with -1....this way u will habe a full db backup every day....

Furacon that was an old thread from last year you responded to.

I consider del volhist -1 to be dangerous - I think you should keep *at least* 3 days worth of TSM backups, and ideally more like 5-10 days.

Guys,

My question at this point would be "Should we still use delete volhistory " command against db volumes even if we are using DRM module of TSM?

As per my information there is one parameter in DRM called "drmdbbackupexpiredays" which controls this requirement...

Please advise on this , as i am confused to use delete volhist admin schedule or "drmdbbackupexpiredays" parameter.

Regards

Guys,

My question at this point would be "Should we still use delete volhistory " command against db volumes even if we are using DRM module of TSM?

As per my information there is one parameter in DRM called "drmdbbackupexpiredays" which controls this requirement...

Please advise on this , as i am confused to use delete volhist admin schedule or "drmdbbackupexpiredays" parameter.

Regards

Don't use "del Volhist" if you are using DRM. As you said, use "drmdbbackupexpiredays".

There is a (rare-ish) exception though - its fine to use del volhist and DRM if you are not actually using DRM to do move drmedia commands. eg. if you offsite to an online library at a remote site, you don't do any move drmedias so del volhist is the only thing that will work.

Back