dbbackup tape volume to drm

tjelf

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Weekly schedule script to backup db failed, had to run it manually.

backup db type=full devclass=ltodevclass

When the script runs automatically, the tape volume is included as drmdedia. Running the script manually successfully backed up the db, but it does not exist as a volume in drm or in tsm. It shows up when i run "q libv" but not anywhere else.

How do I get this tape into a mountable state in drm?

thanks

yep, it was moved when the tape eject script ran (move drmedia * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault rem=bulk).

Didn't know it would do that. Thanks

another question. I have 2 offsite drm tapes in a vault status that do not have any data on them. I know this because in order to get them into a vault retrieve status, i issued the command "move data [volname] stgpool=[stg poolname]" and the response was "[volname] contains no data". How do I "bring them home"?

Thanks again

The status would be most likely be "scratch" if you do del volhist and deleting history including these tapes. Try checking them in.

Would there be any harm in just deleting the volumes? What does tsm use the volhist information in the volhist.out file for?

yep, it was moved when the tape eject script ran (move drmedia * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault rem=bulk).

Didn't know it would do that. Thanks

another question. I have 2 offsite drm tapes in a vault status that do not have any data on them. I know this because in order to get them into a vault retrieve status, i issued the command "move data [volname] stgpool=[stg poolname]" and the response was "[volname] contains no data". How do I "bring them home"?

Thanks again

it looks like you are doing things manually - LET the System bring it home for you. how ?

try to understand how the volumes go from one status to another - say from mountable-vault-vaultretrieve
overview - when they are in mountable state you take volumes out as offsite tape and DRM (with move drm & checkout command)
the system will update the volumes from it state vault to vaultretrieve depending on Delay Period for Volume Reuse of ur copystgpool (q stgp stgpool_name f=d) . DRM then looks at volume compares it to the Delay Period of the STGp and then if it lapse -update the volume to vault retrieve once vol is on this status - you can then bring it home via (move drm vol_name wherest=vaultre tost=onsite and then place the vol in the bulk i/o and do your checkin command) - move drm and checkin command can be incorporated as one command , if you like to use it .. do help move drm - and check the option cmd and cmdf

I understand what you are saying...need to let tsm work for me.

The problem is that I can't figure out why the volumes don't update themselves to vault retrieve state automatically, like others do when they are empty. Well, actually, that's not true. q vol volname f=d returns a Pct Util of 0.1 and Vol Status of "Full" for one of the volumes and a Pct Util of 0.0 and Vol Status of "Full" for the other. This is why I issued the commands to move the data, confidently expecting the data to move to a mountable drm volume and changing the drm state of the volumes to Vault Retrieve. But that didn't happen, tsm told me that there's nothing on the volumes.

The Vol Reuse delay is 0 for this stgpool, btw. volhist has never been deleted for this server, also. I'm not understanding the big picture purpose of the volhist records, so I am reluctant to delete volhist just to see if that doesn't change the volumes' drm state to vault retrieve.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back