Database Size getting increased faster

akilap

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
Wishes..I have a TSM server with database size 202 GB with around 230 clients registered.. among that i have around 10 databases backing up to the tsm server.. but i can see there is growth in the percentage used of database by 01 % daily.. i really dont want this much TSM DB growth .. can anyone please help me on this.
thanks and regards.

Hi,
Certainly, 202GB for 230 clients seems relatively too much.
Check the following:
- 'expire inventory' is running regularly.
- backup retentions in mgmt class are configured properly (hint: q copy)
- act log retention is what you need.

When was the last time 'expire inventory' ran?
Hope this helps,
Rudy

thanks for the reply..
yes expire inventory is running ,but i cannot say its running properly or not. how cna i check for the same and checked the retentions also .. which are all 7 versions and 30 days..

- q act begind=-5 endd=today search='EXPIRE INVENTORY'
- q copy
- q copy t=a

It could be normal if have added new nodes or your current nodes are increasing the number of files backed up.

Rudy

Also...Dou you have archives in the daily schedule?

You can number of files being backup by the TSM Server. If files are many, log utilization will be high

what does a:
q db (f=d)
q log (f=d)
q audito (with audit lic)
shows?

A 200GB DB is a really big one, it's interessting how many files are backed up/archived and whats your daily backup/archive summary.

It's also important how does your tsm server/client works (Backup to file - mig to tape - copy to tape ...) how is your TSM configured (Domain, Copies, Policies and so on ...)
;-)

hi Sorry for the late reply. i haven't noted the replies..
here is ther detailed format for database and log

Available Space (MB): 204,800
Assigned Capacity (MB): 203,776
Maximum Extension (MB): 1,024
Maximum Reduction (MB): 21,544
Page Size (bytes): 4,096
Total Usable Pages: 52,166,656
Used Pages: 46,655,894
Pct Util: 89.4
Max. Pct Util: 89.4
Physical Volumes: 10
Buffer Pool Pages: 131,072
Total Buffer Requests: 3,479,826,348
Cache Hit Pct.: 97.36
Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00
Backup in Progress?: No
Type of Backup In Progress:
Incrementals Since Last Full: 1
Changed Since Last Backup (MB): 1,646.44
Percentage Changed: 0.90
Last Complete Backup Date/Time: 02/24/09 08:08:39
Estimate of Recoverable Space (MB):
Last Estimate of Recoverable Space (MB):
and

Available Space (MB): 13,312
Assigned Capacity (MB): 12,288
Maximum Extension (MB): 1,024
Maximum Reduction (MB): 9,632
Page Size (bytes): 4,096
Total Usable Pages: 3,145,216
Used Pages: 679,133
Pct Util: 21.6
Max. Pct Util: 78.4
Physical Volumes: 4
Log Pool Pages: 512
Log Pool Pct. Util: 2.11
Log Pool Pct. Wait: 0.00
Cumulative Consumption (MB): 5,739,230.73
Consumption Reset Date/Time: 10/07/07 05:59:56
And the q auditocc u need the entire output ? ..
the retentions are set to 14 versions and 30 / 60 days.
and the backup is initially going to disk and thn disk to copy tape and thn migration to primary tape .. after that tape to tape copy.

Hey mate,

You need to take a good look at your environment.

One issue is your log size, are you in rollforward mode? Do you realise that if your log fills that you will not be able to roll it forward if you are, because you are at the absolute maximum definable log space!!

Another issue, your Cache Hit is terrible.

Onto your next...

can you please run

select nodename, sum(num_files)total_files from occupancy group by nodename order by 2 desc

Just show the top 10 files.

Can you also show the expirations process? Are you sure it is running? If it is running is it completing? If it is not completing, how are you cancelling it? If it is completing is it meeting a timeframe limit (max duration) or is it completing because it has expired everything?

Please show the process you use to run expirations.

Expiration should run everyday. And yes, based on my experience with TSM Manager, you could go in quite quickly to verify if it ran good. Best time to run expiration is after the daily schedule before or after reclamation. Remember, if possible, reclamation and expiration are best run after your backup window for the night (I say nite as thats when typically people back up).

If your not running exipration everyday, this is a definite root cause to why your database is the size of ...well..its large for your envrionment at first blush.

Regards,

byteguy01

Back