Data Retention Scenarios

cabledguy2006

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Ah I'm sure this has been done to death but the only info I can find is in the technical reference and http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docvie...45&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct663tivoli

What I'm trying to figure out is my tape rotations to bring the tapes back from offsite.

Looking at a couple of my backup groups:

MGMTCLASS NAME VEREXISTS VERDELETED RETEXTRA RETONLY
EXCH_DL_MGMT 10 1 365 5
DL=daily backup of exchange databases
My reading of this: 10 active versions will be kept - i.e. 10 days. ??

EXCH_6MTH_MGMT 2 1 365 365
This one: two active versions will be kept for 365 days each??

And this one I'm confused about - its a sql db backup:
SQL_DL_MGMT 14 1 30 10
It looks like we're keeping 14 days worth but not sure about the 30 and 10. I assume the 10 keeps the latest version for another 10 days so when do I bring back the tapes - after 14 days or 24?

MGMTCLASS NAME VEREXISTS VERDELETED RETEXTRA RETONLY
EXCH_DL_MGMT 10 1 365 5
DL=daily backup of exchange databases

"up to 10 versions stored for up to 365 days; if a file is deleted, only 1 version will be kept for 5 days"

so if a file changes every day you'll only keep 10 days worth. If a file only changes once a month, you'll keep the last 10 months worth. If a file only changes once every 3 months, you'll keep the last years worth.

Verexists/verdeleted can be pointless. If you want to keep stuff for 10 days, just use retextra=10 and set verexists to nolimit. Otherwise if you do an extra backup one day, you'll only have 9 days of retention...

Thanks BBB

Short and sweet - two out of my 3 favourite words ;-)

Back