data bound to which mgmt class and why still using backup storage pool after retention period expire

rogwall

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When I do: "q auditocc node1"

I can see how much data is in the backup storage pool (Backup Storage Used (MB) column). My question is, how can I see with what Management Class this Data is bound to?

Because, the management class under DEVELOPMENT domain has maximum retention of 60 days (plus 30 days grace period), the node last accessed over 450 days ago, but still the value of Backup Storage Used is a few GB.

All data must have been expired by now if the retention is 60+30 days and node did not access for over 450 days. If the retention (plus grace) period is gone long ago, why still the data in Backup Storage Pool? (it should be ZERO) And second question, how can I see the data is bound to which mgmt class.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. last audit was 2 days ago.

Hi,

the "problem" is that TSM applies retention periods only to INACTIVE versions. Active versions never expire. Thus your 450-day-old backup still contains valid data.

You can see mgmt class in the BACKUPS table. You'd have to do a select from it. But this is very time consuming, the backups table is usually very big => slow.

Hope it helps.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hi,

the "problem" is that TSM applies retention periods only to INACTIVE versions. Active versions never expire. Thus your 450-day-old backup still contains valid data.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I can safely delete the node/schedule then. Anyway to manually expire the data associated with a particular node?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

You can see mgmt class in the BACKUPS table. You'd have to do a select from it. But this is very time consuming, the backups table is usually very big => slow.

Yes it is giving me warning of a very large result. So, I better not do it in production environment.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope it helps.

definitely it helped. Thanks.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> Anyway to manually expire the data associated with a particular node? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not needed, if you are going to unplug the node from TSM. You could expire it by creating a fake node where all files/directories will be excluded. But than you'd have to wait another 90 days until the data will expire.

So, just delete all filespaces and remove the node, if you don't need that data anymore.

Back