Damaged Objects

mrbotticelli

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
To all,

I hope this is very uncommon.

In the past 2 weeks I have had to restore 2 entire systems and a large directory and all failed because of damaged objects. Needless to say this has caused an uproar. We are now feverishly running audit volumes on all of our volumes (over 300) in an attempt to find any volumes that have damaged objects. I did find the volumes that caused my restores to fail. Tivoli's response is to recover from your copy pool. Well we don't have a copy pool so all of the damaged objects are lost. I have been analyzing the server activity log to pinpoint the source/origin of the damaged object but have not found it yet. We do not utilize collocation so our backups are spread over many volumes. Creating a copypool at this stage for over 300 volumes is costly and I am looking into this but, I can't believe that this is the only way to recover the damaged objects. I asked TSM support if I could send the tape to a recovery service and they said that TSM has lost the pointers to the data so it is unrecoverable with a copy pool.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? Advice? :sad:

It could be a problem with a tapedrive.

We had once a situation where we could only read volumes in the drive where the data was originally written to.

We set all drives offline except that particular drive and audited the volumes again to get rid of the damage-flag. After these actions we could restore the data.

Back