Creating New TSM Accounts

HRH_H_Crab

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am a completely untrained TSM operator, and the two people that I used to work with on TSM have just been transferred to another company!

As a result of this, I will probably be requested to *gulp* give root access to the TSM server to people with no Unix experience and access to TSM so that they can change tapes in the event that I am ill, on leave, suffer a nervous breakdown, or just quit my job in the middle of a credit crunch due to having to work with lunatic management.

Shamefully I have very little idea how TSM accounts work, but I would basically like to create a very limited account so that my esteemed colleagues can log in, and do stuff like:

"move drmedia * wherest=courierr tostat=onsiter" "run checkin_tapes" and then the "q req" / "rep <blah>" type stuff (which I really hope is standard TSM operational procedure because thats what I do every day!) followed by "move drmedia * wherest=courier tostat=vault" when they have got the tapes safely back in the safe.

Can anyone suggest any pointers about how I can create such an account and exactly what rights are needed?

Thanks!

(I have my own account with full rights but I don't want to give them the password to this!)

Last edited:
This should get you going

Help reg admin
Help grant auth

register admin AdminName Password
grant auth AdminName cl=system

-= Trident =-

I am a completely untrained TSM operator, and the two people that I used to work with on TSM have just been transferred to another company!

As a result of this, I will probably be requested to *gulp* give root access to the TSM server to people with no Unix experience and access to TSM so that they can change tapes in the event that I am ill, on leave, suffer a nervous breakdown, or just quit my job in the middle of a credit crunch due to having to work with lunatic management.

Shamefully I have very little idea how TSM accounts work, but I would basically like to create a very limited account so that my esteemed colleagues can log in, and do stuff like:

"move drmedia * wherest=courierr tostat=onsiter" "run checkin_tapes" and then the "q req" / "rep <blah>" type stuff (which I really hope is standard TSM operational procedure because thats what I do every day!) followed by "move drmedia * wherest=courier tostat=vault" when they have got the tapes safely back in the safe.

Can anyone suggest any pointers about how I can create such an account and exactly what rights are needed?

Thanks!

(I have my own account with full rights but I don't want to give them the password to this!)

Who then manages TSM on a day to day basis given that the primary, and I presume more knowledgeable folks, have been moved?

Who then manages TSM on a day to day basis given that the primary, and I presume more knowledgeable folks, have been moved?

I am doing the lot, as well as looking after 2 large p570 systems, hosting a London Borough's HR & Payroll system, 13 LPARS.

HACMP is configured on a couple of them too.
I had never heard of AIX 2 years ago! ;P

Fortunately I have been using Linux for about 10 years, and have dabbled with Solaris too.
I have been fortunate enough to attend IBM's "AIX for Unix Professionals" course.

Its kind of a challenging role, and quite scary at times, but fortunately we have a good support contract with IBM, and AIX and the hardware seem (to me) very solid indeed.

All good fun! :D

I have always been the primary admin, and was possibly more knowledgeable than the other 2 guys, but they were FAR more knowledgeable than the poor souls that will be helping me cover the service! ;)

Last edited:
Back