Consequences of accidentally checking in a "vault" volume

retrogeek

Newcomer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm working on improving our DRM tape rotation, and I have gotten storage pool backups and checkouts fully automated and working more or less trouble-free. My next step is to automate checking in, but I'm concerned about the ever-present potential for human error.

Suppose the day's checkouts are done, and a set of tapes are changed to "vault" status and transferred to the I/O slots on the library. If the human responsible for removing those tapes and replacing them with any returns for that day fails to do so, what are the consequences if TSM later blindly checks in all tapes in the I/O slots with status=private? I take it I'll wind up with a tape that is now both a LIBVOL and still in "vault" state. Is there a way to detect this occurrence, recover somewhat automatically, and perhaps re-check-out these sorts of mistakes during the next checkout operation? Is there any risk of the system either losing track of the volumes or their status as DRM tapes or otherwise jeapordizing the data on the tapes? I don't have a test environment to see what actually happens, and I'd rather not just DO this to see what the results are when I'm working with real data.

Any advice welcome. I have other questions relating to this automation that I'll handle in separate threads.

TSM is smarter than most people give it credit. TSM will not allow you to checkin a volume that is not scratch. If it is in the vol, libvol, drm or volhist (in a state other than stgdel) it simply will not check it in as scratch. It *WILL* allow you to check it in as private.

-Aaron

To add on to Aaron's comment - I do believe that the DRM process will be in a "hold" state until the media is physically removed from the I/O door. In my experience - TSM knows it has sent media to be taken out. If TSM does not receive the acknowledgement - it will remain in your activity log and/or process list. Simply opening and closing the I/O door to fool the system wont help any either - so you are safe there.
The only way originals can be placed back in - is if then were first removed and then reinserted.
And yes - they will remain as Private because the DRM process now owns the media sort to speak.
Now there is a bad side to this scenario. If the media was placed into a second library of a similar type and the volume history has not recorded the volume(s) then guess what - they are scratch candidates - and then you will be now faced with a potentially overwrite condition. And as the media is given back to the original library - TSM will respond with media errors. The same goes true with your original volume history - be very cautious on what you are removing even with wild cards. Once its out of volume history - its a scratch candidate.
So - there ya go - but you can always be old school and also have your tape handlers - write protect the media as its removed. A force of habit as a prevention technique

Good luck

Steven

Back