Configuring TSM Client via CLI

djcronos

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm having troubles absorbing all the documentation on the IBM website, so perhaps you folks could lend me a hand. Our company has the newest version of TSM EE, and I've been tasked to back up both our AIX and Linux servers to the server via the CLI client. Installing the CLI wasn't a problem, it's more about configuring both the client, and the server to accept this new connection.

First, I'd like to mention that when I create an account for our customers to backup and archive their files via the Windows GUI, what I would do is log into the Integrated Solutions Console and create a new node with a password. This was how I learned how to set up new accounts. It doesn't appear to be the same when it comes to the CLI version and the configuration files, which makes me wonder if I am setting up new accounts correctly in the first place.

Okay, with that said, here's what I did to configure the TSM Client, as well as configuring the server to accept this new connection:

1) Installed the API and BA .rpm's

2) Went into /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin and used the following information for dsm.sys:

SErvername backup.foo.com

COMMMethod TCPip

TCPPort 1500

TCPServeraddress backup.foo.com

inclexcl /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/tsm-includes

3) I then edited the tsm-includes file, which contains:

exclude.dir /bin

exclude.dir /dev

exclude.dir /lib

exclude.dir /media

exclude.dir /misc

exclude.dir /mnt

exclude.dir /proc

exclude.dir /sbin

exclude.dir /selinux

exclude.dir /srv

exclude.dir /sys

exclude.dir /tmp

include /home/*

include /var/log/*

include /var/spool/*

include /var/www/*

include /etc/*

include /boot/*

include /opt/*

include /root/*

include /usr/*

4) Logged onto the Integrated Solutions Console and added a new node:

Username: newnode

Password: password

I made "Assign owner authority to selected administrator" set to ADMIN

5) Went to the linux box and tried to issue the backup client via CLI:

[root@foo bin]# dsmc archive /root/Tivoli\ Storage\ Manager\ Client\ v5.3.2\ for\ Linux.tar.gz

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager

Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface

Client Version 5, Release 3, Level 4.0

Client date/time: 12/04/2006 13:36:11

(c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s) 1990, 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Archive function invoked.

Node Name: SPEAR.foo.COM

Please enter your user id <SPEAR.foo.COM>: admin

ANS1353E Session rejected: Unknown or incorrect ID entered

What am I doing wrong? It appears I'm not setting up users correctly, or am missing a step. How would I do that, or what am I missing?

Also, what do I need to do to get this to do an incremental backup every day at 11:59pm?

If I am missing any other items that I need to do in order to get this working, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

You have to initialize the node using nodename and the nodenames password.. not the admin account.

Cheers

PJ

You need to add the line "passwordaccess generate" in the dsm.sys file. After that, use "dsmc q sess" and enter the node name and password. After that, TSM will no longer ask for the name and password.

-Aaron

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>You need to add the line "passwordaccess generate" in the dsm.sys file. After that, use "dsmc q sess" and enter the node name and password. After that, TSM will no longer ask for the name and password.

-Aaron</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet! That worked - thanks!

Now, how do I get the client to automatically archive the includes/excludes in the file I specified? Do I add it to a cronjob or is there another way?

You can add a cron job to run the "dsmc backup" command which will do the normal backup functions or you can create a client schedule (both for backup and for archive) and let the scheduler handle it. If you are going to use the scheduler, you need to start the scheduler daemon. This is normally done by "dsmc schedule"

-Aaron

Thanks heada this worked perfectly!

Now, how about when I back up a windows server? What command do I put in the Scheduled Tasks? I already went into the GUI and created the include/exclude list, but when I double clicked on the client, it just loaded the GUI. I'm manually archiving right now, but I"d like to add it to the Scheduled Tasks.

Thanks again!

When installing the client (via the GUI installer) you have the ability to define a TSM Scheduler service. If you have that service defined, then you will only need to define a client schedule for the windows clients (done at the policy domain level I think) Once you have the client schedule defined, the client should start performing whatever task you defined in the schedule (backup/restore/archive/retrieve)

-Aaron

Thanks again for the help!

Okay one more quick q - I want to have my Linux and AIX servers back up to the Tivoli server and keep backups of any files that have been changed over a period of time. I took a peek in the manual and it mentioned something about issuing the 'dsmc incremental' command - is that the command I should run if I want to make incremental backups?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Back