Configuring TSM 6.2 W2K8 and TS3100 Library

ocarles

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I am pretty new on TSM and I am trying to configure a TS3100 tape library (one drive, 23 slots) using TSM 6.2 on a W2K8 64 bits box

Environment
* SAN Environment, TS3100 and W2K8 64 bits physical server connected through a SAN Switch.

Steps that I already follow:

1.- TS3100 library is recognized by W2K8 Server
2.- Install Sucesfully last TS3100 device driver (downloading from IBM web site, IBMTape.x64_w08_6212.zip). After this, on Windows Device Manager I can see correctly installed: Medium Tape/IBM ULT3580-TD4 SCSI Sequential Device, Medium Changer Device/IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library
1.- Install TSM 6.2 Server (TSM Device Driver, TSM License, TSM Server)
2.- Configure TSM instance
3.- Install Tivoli Integrated Portal
4.- Run TSM Management Console (MMC) and choose TSM Server/Wizards/Device Configuration. On this step I can see a windows showing two devices (library and tape), but both not related to each other. As I know, tape should be under Medium changer and also on Medium changer I get an status of: error obtaining information. (I will attach screen shoots).

Is there something that I missed on this steps?

Any suggestions?

I'll appreciate your comments

Regards

Oscar

Attachments

• ss_configure_TS3100.doc
    467.5 KB · Views: 137
Hello,

never used TSM MMC console wizard for library definition - this is how it should be done using commands

Code:
def library ts3100 libt=scsi
def path <your_TSM_server_name> ts3100 sourcet=server destt=library device=lb1.1.0.5
def dri ts3100 lto4drv1 
def path <your_TSM_server_name> lto4drv1 sourcet=server destt=drive library=ts3100 device=mt1.0.0.5

If anything is wrong with your library (and it seems so as you got the error), first path definition fails with I/O error. I have seen such problem when the library was set to "Sequential" mode of operation. For TSM it must be set to "Random" - check that please.

Harry

EDIT: correction - as oracles mentioned below, the commands should use "srct" instead of "sourcet" - bad day - I posted 2 posts and both with such typos ....:(
Getting some sleep sometimes may be .. beneficial ...

Last edited:
Or you can do it trough TIP, there is a nice wizard, much better than TSM MMC.
BTW, TSM + one drive library is pretty "painfull" configuration. Get yourself two drives library at least, if possible.

Many thanks for your help.
I went through command line and it worked, there were no errors and by now I am able to see my library on a Good status on TIP.
Now, I have to define a device class using the library, storage pool associated with the device class, include the
storage pool in the storage hierarchy and label the tape library media.
FYI, the clause "sourcet=server" on TSM 6.2 must be "srct=server"

Regards

Oscar

Back