Configuring Library Manager without client side Fibre channel

togacat

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Greetings,
I have a TSM 6.3.0 server running on top of Windows 2k8 and the server is connected to an IBM 3576 tape library. In our old environment, we had a few tsm servers that connected to a library manager to access volumes and these server all had fibre channel cards and were configured to "see" the tape library and this created devices for the tape library on the local server. Our new environment uses hp blades for two of our tsm servers and all of their fibre channel ports are in use. Is there any way to create a library manager environment in which the library manager is the only server that has a Fibre Channel connection to the tape library? Every time I attempt to make this configuration work, I setup the server-to-server connection but receive the error "mount request denied."
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
TC

You can. I had a setup before when I was still in Canada where the client TSM server was in Calgary and the host TSM server running the library was in Toronto.

1. Setup server-to-server communicationss
2. Setup drives such that it is defined for Client TSM server
3. Setup library such that it is defined for Client TSM server

Last edited:
2. Setup drives such that it is defined for Client TSM server
3. Setup library such that it is defined for Client TSM server

Do you mean define the device for each of these paths on the client as it is viewed by the library manager? I wouldnt think that would work but could you please elaborate? I also tried def path <libclient> <libraryname> srctype=server desttype=library device=<device path to library> on the library manager and was met with the error "ANR1900E Path between server TSM01 and library TS3310 is not allowed."
Thank you for your help.
-TC

EDIT:
I have now used the EXTERNALMANAGER=<servername> parameter to define the path to the library. Im not sure if this is the correct usage of this however, it defined the path. Now, I am attepmting to define the path to the drives and there is not an externalmanager parameter that can be used. Am I using this correctly?
Thanks.

Last edited:
This is how I got this to work using virtual volumes.

have a stgpool on the target server
have a domain for servers to use
define an archive copygroup that uses the appropriate stgpool
register a node for the server you want using virtual volumes using this syntax
REG NODE <NODENAME> <NODEPASSWORD> DO=<created domain> TYPE=SERVER USERID=<optional> CONTACT=<optional>

SOURCE server
define the server that has the library you want access to:
DEFINE SERVER <SERVERNAME> PASSWORD=<password used when registering the node> hladdr=<ip of the target server> lladdr=<port number you want to use for comms> nodename=<name of the node you created on the target server>

define a device class
define devclass <classname> devtype=server server=<target server name> (you can stop here if you only want to backup the database to the target server)

define stgpool to access remote server
define stgpool <poolname> <devclass you just setup> maxscratch=<number of maximum scratch you will allow, I used 100>

specify the stgpool you just created as the nextstgpool for a stgpool if you want to use it to migrate data from a stgpool on the source server to a stgpool on the target server.
update stgpool <stgpool you want to migrate data off of> nextstgpool=<name of the stgpool you created using the devclass that talks to the target server>

Back