Client Option Set Not Working On Specific Node

BLGADMIN

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.blg.co.uk
Hi All,

We have a Windows environment with TSM 5.2 and all client on 5.3. All servers are W2K3 with the most up-to-date service packs. I have been asked to investigate why one of our servers is backing up over 2000 files, 19GB is size and taking over 5 hours to backup.

I activated VERBOSE on the node to see what is actually being backed up. To my horror, the client seems to be backing up the entire Windows directory, even though we have a client option set which is suppose to exclude that directory.

Checked the local dsm.opt file and that seems to be OK. The client option set seems to be setup correctly as well.

Could anyone shed some light on this as I am not sure what the problem might be?

Thanks in advanced.

H

:confused:

Could there be a contradictory include statement on the client itself? Or, is this machine set up in an unusual way?

The client option set should take precedence, but if only one client is acting oddly, I would look at the configuration of the client first.

do a q inclexcl on you dmc console to get what exactlety you include- exclude and on witch Level (client, Clop,..)

Thanks for all your responses. The story so far...

Retread,

You mentioned that it could be something to do with the client itself. So I checked all nodes that were associated with the CLOTP and it's doing the same thing on those nodes.

May,

You gave me the command to check on what is actually being excluded from the node. Ran the commanded and the directory is being excluded.

All,

I did notice that there were a number of exclude statements in the option set that was doing the same thing, so I have removed those to see if it would make any difference. Unfortunately not. Could it be the position of where the exclude statement is located in the CLOTP which could be causing the problem. I'm fairly new to TSM, but from what I have been told, the options are read from bottom to top.

Let me know what you think.

H

You gave me the command to check on what is actually being excluded from the node. Ran the commanded and the directory is being excluded.

they are exclude, but on wich level?

do you have a " include c:\* " or some thing like that on your dsm.opt?

if Yes,, you got to set the CLOP parameter to "force=yes" so that the Clop will be the decider

I am having exactly the same problem. I have ONE client that is backing up the entire windows dir even though I have exclude.dir "c:\windows" in the options file on the client and also have an INCLEXCL exclude.dir c:\windows in the client op set the workstation is assignd to. Can't figure this one out. I have even reinstalled that client and still the same thing. :confused: Any help would be appreciated

Not sure if anyone rsponded to you on that. But if you have the exclude statement in the dsm.opt and the cloptset you will get 'unexpected' results. Use one or other to exclude, but not both.

Back