CHECKIN LIBVOLUME required within 50 minutes.

learner123

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to TSM and ran into some problem. I wish someone could give me some guidance.

While my backup was running, TSM finished using the first tape and was going to use a next available media but it somehow decided to pick a media that is not inside the library.

ANR8352I Requests outstanding:
ANR8308I 013: LTO volume L100001 is required for use in library LTOLIBR1;
CHECKIN LIBVOLUME required within 50 minutes.

My questions are:

1. Why did it decide to pick this particular tape, although it's not inside the library? I ran "audit library" before running this backup session, and "q libv" shows the accurate list, which does not include this particular tape.

2. How could I prevent TSM from picking up a tape that is not inside the library for the future?

2. Where or how could I change the timeout value so that I'd like to let it give up within 5 minutes instead of 50 minutes and to let it pick a next available media (hopefully) that is inside the library.

Thanks in advance!

- Steve

on your library manager, you do " query reply" and after reply number to take the tape.

when you do a backup, tsm need a scratch tape.

If the tape not appear, you have more solution:
1-this tape is offsite
2-this tape is in the robot don't check for tsmtapelibrary, if is this you do checkin libv library_name search=yes checklabel=barcode status=scratch

Last edited:
update your device class definitions for mount wait time (50 to 5),
update your volume status to offsite if you check it out and don't want to tsm calls that tapes back again... it decides to call these tapes back to library because it's still in use (filling) and media access status is readwrite...

update your device class definitions for mount wait time (50 to 5),
update your volume status to offsite if you check it out and don't want to tsm calls that tapes back again... it decides to call these tapes back to library because it's still in use (filling) and media access status is readwrite...

Thanks for your answer. I just changed the mountwait value to 5 minute by "update devclass pool1 mountwait=5".

Could you tell me how to update my volume status to offsite (since the tape has been checked out and I don't want TSM to call that tape again)?

- Steve

upd vol L100001 acc=offsite

Thanks for your answer!

Now, is it possible to update the inventory of my library volumes automatically so that it's up-to-date rather than one by one running that command? Basically, I'd like to prevent TSM from trying to use tapes that are not inside the library but to let TSM pick tapes among the ones only from the library.

First I thought either "audit library" or "checkin libvol" command or both would do this job but apparently they don't.

- Steve

Does running the prepare command do this? Or does it (prepare) just do DR / recovery plan file stuff?

Hummmmm, I can't find the answer to my own question

When I run "audit library mylib checklabel=barcode" and then "q libv", it correctly shows the list of tapes inside the library.

However, when I run backups, my backup job tries to use tapes that are not inside the library any more.

I tried using the checkin and label commands with various options but none of them fixed my issue.

How could I audit the library correctly so that TSM picks to use only those tapes that are in the library?

Thanks.

- Steve

you have to make its access status unavailable just after check out each volume...

TSM maintains every volume history on volhist file, check out volume command does not remove the volume entry from volhist file thats why TSM gives you that message

you have to make its access status unavailable just after check out each volume...

TSM maintains every volume history on volhist file, check out volume command does not remove the volume entry from volhist file thats why TSM gives you that message

Are you saying that I have to use the "checkout libvol <volume> remove=yes checklabel=no" command or "update volume <volume> access=unavailable" against each volume each time I take tapes out of the library?

I thought "audit library" is supposed to take care of that part.

Thanks.

- Steve

Back