Change DB Snapshot retention

Jpro409

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
What is the command to change the retention period of a DB SnapShot Tape?

Thank You

If you use DRM, it is set by "set DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS". Otherwise, use "del volhist". See the Redbook for best practices and other procedures.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

We have some old DB Snapshot tapes that we want to make scratch, how would we do that?

If you use DRM and had "set DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS", all you have to do is run "expire inventory".

If you are not running DRM, then "del volhist todate=today-7 type=DBSnapshot". This deletes anything before the last seven days.

Thanks for the information.

Our DB Snapshot tapes have a retention period of 60 days. After that 60 retention, how would you enter those tapes in the library as scratch?

Just check them in as scratch. Are you using DRM? If so, do a "q drm" and you should see them as "Vault Retrieve" from the list after more than 60 days.

If you are not using DRM and run periodically "del volhist", it may be a little cumbersome as you need to keep tracking those tapes manually or through an automated (scripted) process. I have done this before and this is not a very good way of managing the TSM environment.

Last edited:
We are using DRM and I don't see the tapes going into Vault Retrieve, when I do a q drm. I think that is the problem. We used to take tapes out of Vault Retrieve all the time, but for some unknown reason they are staying in Vault status, when they should be in Vault Retrieve.

Thanks for your help.

Back