can't use 2 tsm server with one storage agent.

rsinnya

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi,

My scenario is like this.

For some reason i've to take backup of my data from two TSM Server (5.4-windows 2003OS).

Previously i had only one TSM Server and i was taking backup without any problem in lanfree mode.

Now i've added a new TSM Server with TS3100 Library. ( Same as previouse TSM Server and Library.)

So as per the document i've gone throught i created another one dsm_dr.opt file poiting the another server inside the dsm.sys (location of dsm.opt and dsm.sys in aix is /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> content of dsm.opt

SErvername previoustsmserver

>> content of dsm_dr.opt

SErvername addedtsmserver
---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>content of dsm.sys
*followings sets are stanza for previoustsmserver
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress previoustsmserver

ENABLELanfree YES
LANFREECommmethod TCPIP
LANFREETCPServeraddress NIBL_DR_AIX1
LANFREETCPPort 1515

*following sets are stanza from addedtsmserver
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
TCPServeraddress previoustsmserver

ENABLELanfree YES
LANFREECommmethod TCPIP
LANFREETCPServeraddress NIBL_DR_AIX1
LANFREETCPPort 1515

*end of dsm.sys
>> The content of dsmsta.opt (location is /usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin/)

DEVCONFIG devconfig.out
SANDISCOVERY YES
TCPPORT 1515

SERVERNAME previoustsmserver
>> The content of devconfig.out is

SET STANAME AIX1_STA
SET STAPASSWORD 215184410f4c9bcaef76ce1bbfe8217d23
SET STAHLADDRESS x.x.x.x
DEFINE SERVER TSMNTC HLADDRESS=x.x.x.x LLADDRESS=1500 SERVERPA=21de30fc19c550d82bf53b9665884988c4

In the above scenario i can take the backup of my aix server using previoustsmserver. But i want to use addedtsmserver as well. If i disable lanfree and use the command "#dsmj -optfile dsm_dr.opt" then i can take the backup using addedtsmserver and obviously if i use command "#dsmj" , which will use dsm.opt, will take the backup using previoustsmserver. But as i enable lanfree, which is pointing the previoustsmserver in dsmsta.opt, it will always take the backup using previoustsmserver no matter what command i use (#dsmj or #dsmj -optfile=dsm_dr.opt"

Is there any solution for my case, any advice will be appriciable.

Do you have 2 dsmsta running and can you connectr from the dr site to the dr ageent and from otu previous server to the previous stg agent?

Either you can have 2 stg agent running and listening on diferent tcpports or you can have one stg agent runing and only start it when you need it.

When runnig 2 stg agents at the same time you have to keep 2 separate dsmsta.opt pointing to different devconfig files.

If you want to have one stg agent running the you only need to swap the devconfig before you start the stg agent.

Hope this is not too confusing.

Yes i have one dsmsta running on my dc site server and one in DR site server.

lets say i've to take the backup of my DC aix server using tsmserver in DC and DR, previously it was working fine with DCtsmserver now i've added DRtsmserver.

So i'm trying to explain you as i've understood from your suggestion.
>> In my DC AIX server
I've got one dsmsta.opt pointing the previousTSMserver inside the devconfig out. So shall i create another dsmsta_dr.opt pointing the addedTSMserver with new devconfig_dr.out in the same server? If it is possible then how can i call new dsmsta_dr.opt file for backup using addedTSMserver.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've done:
> with one stg agent configured already.
> I created one new folder under /usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr
> Created dsmsta_dr.opt under "/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr"
pointing the devconfig file in
" /usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr/devconfig_dr.out"
> cd /usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr
> export DSMSERV_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin
> export
DSMSERV_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr/dsmsta_dr.opt
> dsmsta setstorageserver .....

From this point on, to start the second storage agent, the following must be done :TSM client must then use the following options in a stanza of the dsm.sys file to connect to the second storage agent:

> cd /usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr
> export DSMSERV_DIR=/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin
> export
DSMSERV_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr/dsmsta_dr.opt
nohup dsmsta quiet &

TSM client must then use the following options in a stanza of the dsm.sys file to connect to the second storage agent:

lanfreecommmethod tcpip
lanfreetcpport 1700

Till this point i've done each steps carefully and i got succeed to backup my server using second TSMSERVER but on problem came into the picture and that is when i tried to take backup (using my old dsm.opt file) using my previous TSMSERVER it gave two error windows with messages:

ANS1038S Invalid option specified
ANS5179E TSM is unable to continue. Exiting program

* i think i have to do"export
DSMSERV_CONFIG=/usr/tivoli/tsm/StorageAgent/bin_dr/dsmsta_dr.opt" to use previous TSMSERVER.

It it is the solution then i won't be able to use both the tsm server simultaneously, am i right.

Please advice.

web client gui configuration for multiple instances

I sloved the problem hurreyyy...

But one thing is still giving me trouble.

I'm able to open web client GUI for one instance and don't know how to open web client for 2nd option.

any advice will be appriciable

Back