Can TSM backup to 2 different VTL's and a physical library at the same time

ilovit1010

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
My management has tasked me with finding out the answer to this question.

Can TSM backup to 2 different VTL's and 1 physical library during a single backup? This is what we are looking to do. We would like to have 2 VTL's configured for backups... simultnaeous write to be more specific, but the data being stored on the 2 VTL's will be onsight and the data being written to the physical library will be the offsite copy.

My backup configuration will actually be 3 simultaneously writes... 2 different streams going to the 2 different VTL's and an offsite copy of everything going to tape.

We have a 12TB SAP database which needs to be backed up in 6 - 8 hours. We would like to have that data stored on disk for about X number days. This is where the VTL's come into play. I was thinking we might be able to 'break up' the table spaces in half... half of the database going to 1 VTL and tape. The other half going to the other VTL and tape. But my knowledge on how SAP backups up to TSM is limited. I'm not sure if you can control/spilt 12TB database into going to the same VTL daily.... Can anyone help us figure out a better way to solve this issue? Any ideas?

Short answer is no. You cannot do simultaneous backups as the "backup stgpool" can only have one target pool. You can, however, do copies via backing up the backup but this is a one-to-one activity. Or, make copies of the backup via other methods.

If I understand your question correctly, I don't see why this can't be done. Define your vtl primary storage pool to have defined in the COPYSTGpools parm the names of the vtl copy pool and the tape copy pool. If you create a mgmt class that points back ups to the vtl primary pool, the vtl copy and tape copy pools will be written to simultaneously.

- DW

You can setup a storage pool that uses the VTL(s) to write the primary data and also will write to the physical library at the same time. Just define the physical library as the copypool for the primary VTL pool. This is a sync-write operation and so if you have 4 "drives" in use in the VTL you will need 4 drives in the library as well. Also, the backup will go at the speed of the slowest device. Sync-write does not allow you to use LAN-Free so you will need a very fast network (10Gb/s or multiple 1Gb/s linked together) to get your 15TB DB done in 6 to 8 hours.

-Aaron

Thx, for the responses. We will be doing testing in the coming weeks to see if everything works as expected. I have 6 dedicated 1 GB ips for this backup currently. We have also just put a 10GB switch in place for the VTL's.

Vtl

Remember if you zone the VTL to be able to see the tape library you can have your VTL copy to a tape automatically. No need for TSM to get envolved. Also your VTL should support replication then the VTL's replicate data on the time interval you select. This will eliminate alot of management over head not to mention daily processing for you TSM server.

ILoveIt....you should tell management this...Take back the crappy 2 VTL and crappy Physical library and trade to the two NEW Deduplicated VTL's. Have 1 onsite and 1 offsite. have replication turned on which only replicates the duduplicated data. Then use LANFREE on the VTL onsite and run mutiple sessions for backup. This would be best...but what do I know :p

Back