Can i reboot my tape library?

JonRoenick

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have the IBM358401 tape library. The web interface seems to have stopped working. I can still ping it, but i can no longer web to it. If i wait until all tape operations have stopped, can i flip the switch off/on to see if the web server part comes back online without TSM throwing a fit?

Hi Jon, I use a smaller tape library, TS3310 and have had to reboot my tape library a few times for issues as well. I believe I only once over the years experienced the same issue you are describing, and a reboot cleared it up for me. Of course, that being said, I would recommend checking cables, and the network setup (via console), before scheduling a reboot. Also be sure no tapes are mounted before restarting otherwise you may need an audit library to find them. Also instead of using the on/off switch, you should have a reboot command that is accessible through the front console panel.

Jon,

What error are you getting when you attempt to get to the web interface?

Mike

Was getting a
The requested URL could not be retrieved

error. But i pretended to change the IP address via the console (thanks BrianMartinez) and it refreshed and now it is happy again. So i didn't have to reboot after all.

On a 3584 if the web server stops responding you don't normally have to turn the whole library on and off. On the back on the controller there is a MCA reset button. Pressing that normally gets the web server running again without having to take a library outage.

Cheers

On a 3584 if the web server stops responding you don't normally have to turn the whole library on and off. On the back on the controller there is a MCA reset button. Pressing that normally gets the web server running again without having to take a library outage.

Cheers
I found that MCA button. If i do press that, is it just a soft reset, or does it reset the settings also?

Hi

As far as I know , its just a soft reset, I've certainly never lost any settings after pressing it..

Cheers

I've never lost any settings either. It does re-inventory the entire library however.

Mike

Reboot the Library. Just happened to me..only way to fix it.

I have two TS3310 libraries and whenever I have to reboot a library because they are attached to Windows TSM servers I am always prepared to do two things,

1.) Audit the library within TSM
2.) Redefine the library and/or one or move drives.

Somehow in Windows sometimes Device : lb0.1.1.1 becomes Device: lb0.1.1.2,
This is one of the most annoying issues with TSM server on Windows.

Before a restart I always export the output of q path f=d and q drive f=d in the event the TSM Windoze gremlins attack!:eek:

Just to add an experience for reference.

My 3584 was unresponsive the other day too. Couldn't access the web interface, and TSM was taking drive paths offline as it was polling drives without response. On the library console I tried to pause it, it was "Pausing...." until it timed out, but never paused. We opened the library door, closed it again, and it was normal. It ran it's inventory, the robot moved, tape drives started working, web interface was fine.

Hi

Whilst this thread seems to be talking alot about quirky features of libraries, I wonder if anyone else is having this with their TS3500/3584.

Everytime I connect up the web GUI I now get
"There are no connections available. You can select Retry to try and connect again or Force Connection to force a connection."

I always have to force the connection. No one else manages the library apart from me. Force connection works everytime but I think I've only started getting this since I put the 7379 firmware on.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cheers

Back