Bad Copy Storage Poll tape

mcridercoach

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have been getting errors on a copy storage pool tape that changes it's access to readonly. How can I make a copy of the bad tape before removing it for good?

Thanks,

Jay

I believe there are two ways to attack this bad copy pool tape...first, you could try a "move data" function. Of course, if the tape really is bad, you won't be able to read (and thereby move) the data, so your alternative solution is to delete the tape with 'discard=yes'...remember, this is a copy of the original data, so if you delete this tape (and discard the data), the original data is still present in your primary storage pool(s).

Once the tape is gone, you can recreate the copy by running another backup of your primary storage pool(s). A new copy will be created of any objects that were discarded when the tape was removed and you should be back in business.

Good luck!

the first solution (moving data...) seems better if it works.

I am woindering how does the 2nd solution (backup stgpool ...)works ? does it backup the primary stgpool incrementally which means only those files in the primary, not those in both the primary pool and the copypool are transfered over to the copypool ? other wise, if it will transfer every file from the primary pool to the copy pool, it can take quite long time depending on the size of the primary pool. :grin:

The copy pool is a replica of the associated primary storage pool(s) and TSM keeps track of the data in both locations. If one 'bad' tape is deleted from a copy pool, TSM knows what's still in the copy pool and will only copy the "missing" data when the BACKUP STGPOOL command is issued...put simply, it will re-create the deleted tape. :)

Regards,

-PB

Back