Backup Volume Mounted as Folder in Win2003

managerxxx

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Win2K3 cluster running with TSM 5.3.4.0 x64 client. The issue that I'm having is backing up a volume that is mounted as a folder - i.e. has no drive letter.

I've tried dozens of different variations in the options file but can't for the life me get TSM to recognise this this volume as a cluster-aware data volume.

Can anyone shed any light to prevent further pulling out of hair!!!

Many thanks

you should place the dsm.opt in a shared folder (i.e.: S:\TSM-CLIENT), and dsm.opt must contain at least the following lines:
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE
DOMAIN S:
TCPSERVERADDRESS <<server address>>
NODENAME <<CLUSTER-name>>
CLUSTERNODE YES
ERRORLOGNAME S:\TSM-CLIENT\error.log
SCHEDLOGNAME S:\TSM-CLIENT\sched.log
i just couldn't get your statement "has no drive letter", since cluster resources must be mounted on a drive, otherwise it wouldn't switch on takeover.

hope it helps
cheers
max

Thanks, I got that far without any issues.

However you CAN have a disk resource without a drive letter as a cluster resource. Typically the way we manage our file servers is to have a 'holding folder' that has a drive mapping and the multiple disks mounted into folders (i.e no drive letters) beneath it.

For example the drives are called "Design Data", "Manufacturing Data" etc and these are mounted under drive Y.

The OPT file (in the root of Y) has the following:

DOMAIN Y: (which works OK)

I've tried the following permutations:

DOMAIN "\\<CLUSTERNAME>\Design Data"
DOMAIN "Y:\<FOLDER>\Design Data" <- TSM complains that this isn't a clustered drive

...and a whole load more.

Anyone any ideas or experience of this. I've even tried the 5.4.0.2 client (just in case) to no avail.

Regards

It may be a premission problem.

If your CAD/Sched (whichever one you use) is configured as "local system", the service would not have the requrie permission to mount it for backups.

try creating a service account, add that account to the share permissions and change the CAD/SCHED to "Log On As" that account.

virtualfsmapping is not a valid option.

Virtualfsmountpoint is used in the linux world and virtualfsname would be the closest option i think you're referring to on the windows side.

extracted from ans60000

"Use the virtualfsname option with the backup group command to specify the name of the virtual file space for the group on which you want to perform the
operation.

Command line: backup group -filelist=c:\dir1\filelist1 -groupname=group1 -virtualfsname=\virtfs -mode=full"

and i don't think this is what managerxxx is after.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried running the scheduler as a domain admin (that definitely has access to the volume mount points) but get the same issues.....

Arrrgh :)

I think max is right about that you have to manage mounted map as a new resource in cluster and backup by placing a new cluster installation on volume with specific opt file do not write any "domain option" on it. Alternative is to specify a butch backup.

Back